Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Cushings disease

Does anyone have any experience of Cushing's disease, in particular Cushex drops (or any other natural remedies)? I have resisted having 11 yr old Poppy tested yet as I'm not mad keen on prescription drugs and obviously this is what will be suggested if the result is positive.
Any advice anyone?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 06:09 PM
My previous dog had cushings for a few years, although he wasn't on special meds for it. He had the big, pot belly, he panted profusely some nights even when it wasn't hot, his nails went very strange, they got very brittle, they were white nails anyway, but they did change dramatically.

In the later stages, he suffered with demodectic mange, which my vet said was part of the process with the cushings, his immune system (or lack of it) was unable to keep it at bay, so we had to use a lot of ab's for his last year.

These are all symptoms that I saw, but it certainly didn't seem to affect his quality of life, so I hope your dog is the same. You need to boost that immune system somehow, and good luck with him.
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2012, 10:35 PM
That's what I've been thinking Helena. She is doing OK considering but apparently if Cushing's is left untreated it can lead to diabetes and other things which obviously I am keen to avoid. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get her tested at least-hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
That's what I've been thinking Helena. She is doing OK considering but apparently if Cushing's is left untreated it can lead to diabetes and other things which obviously I am keen to avoid. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get her tested at least-hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily
As you say, you need to have her tested.

Why the reluctance to use medication if she is diagnosed with cushings, cushings is a serious disease. that can lead to death, at 11 yrs old, is it not better to make her remaining yrs more comfortable with medication,

Cushings can not be cured , but it can be controlled with medication, giving a dog quality of life over longevity .

Get the results first, then look to your options,

P.S ...one of my friends dogs had cushings, medication gave him a few yrs of quality of life, bless him .
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm of the opinion that most conventional medicines have side effects so normally prefer to do things the natural way. That said, to my shame I didn't realise how serious Cushing's is so am going to get her tested as I'd rather the rest of her life was comfortable. Fingers crossed she hasn't got it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
Yes, I would definitely get her tested, it's the only way you can know for sure. I wasn't actually offered any meds for my boy, it was never mentioned, but that could be because he was already on a very, very small daily steroid dose for his skin problems, which could either have helped his cushings case, or, it could be that he wouldn't have tolerated the meds along with the steroids. We were actually having my boy tested for thyroid when they discovered the cushings as they did a lot of blood tests that day on him. I might add, that he would have been about 11 at the time of his diagnosis, but he lasted right up to just 3 months away from his 14th birthday!

Good luck, you need to put your mind at rest with him really.