Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2014, 04:29 PM

Arthritis in Dogs

Hi

We are taking Robbie back to the vets tomorrow. Was there before Christmas as he was limping on his right front leg and started them both on glucosamine and cod liver oil to try and help him. He has not improved so going back tomorrow and will ask about Metacam. Don't want to put him on Rimadyl because of the side effects.

Karen
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
Hi

We are taking Robbie back to the vets tomorrow. Was there before Christmas as he was limping on his right front leg and started them both on glucosamine and cod liver oil to try and help him. He has not improved so going back tomorrow and will ask about Metacam. Don't want to put him on Rimadyl because of the side effects.

Karen
What side effects? I've never seen any in my dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
Hi

Karen
I take it the vet has pinpointed where the arthritis is, unfortunately glucosamine and other supplements are not going to help much once arthritis is present, it's something that should be given long before arthritis develops, but it won't hurt so might as well give it.

Why would you be reluctant to give rimadyl if that is what is the best for him..
You are in a catch 22 , give what ever pain relief is needed , even if it does present side affects the issue is in the now, and what keeps him pain free.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2014, 06:03 PM
I suppose I scared myself by reading about problems people had had with it possibly affecting the kidneys and liver. Will talk with the vet tomorrow and see what she has to say.

At least Lady and Robbie are enjoying the cheese they get with the supplements squashed in.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2014, 07:15 PM
My vet does laser therapy has helped my girl get a little more mobility though she does has metacam maybe your vet does this worth a ask
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 02:25 AM
I use hyaluronic acid for Peluche.

Check out this link:
http://dogaware.com/health/arthritis...tml#hyaluronic

It has some information regarding treating arthritis with natural therapies.
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2014, 08:38 PM
My Foxy is now on Previcox with excellent results. She has arthritis in both shoulders and front legs and was on Metacam for a number of years with reasonable success, but as she got older (she is now about 12 years old - cannot be too specific as she was an adult rescue) it became obvious that she needed more. For the first two weeks on Previcox there was very little obvious improvement, but now she is really well. However, I have spoken to friends about this, who have said that Previcox has upset their dogs' stomachs, so it does not suit all dogs.

Any medication will have an effect on organs eventually, but I would rather Foxy enjoy a slightly shorter life with no pain than drag her life out with pain and reduction in quality of life. I do, however, ask for a blood test when she has her annual booster check up, just to make sure nothing is going too wrong. So far, fingers crossed, she has been fine.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Collie aged we think 12, has arthritis but keeping her gently mobile helps greatly as it does for me. I am avoiding meds for now. Just keeping her gently active. Apart from when she sees CAT she is fine with that. Occasionallly she has a bad patch and I have a few tabs left from a bad episode way back.