Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Need some advice!

I suffer with depression ,anixety and IBS.

I was signed off sick for 2 weeks Jan/Feb time and since then i have not been off at all.

Yesterday i was tol dthere was going to be a fire drill! i panic with this as can not stand in crowds, with my previous team leader this was a problem for her to understad! so i fllied out a form to say i would go and wait in the other building untll it had finished.

this form was signed and she kept it all i got was a piece of paper!

I then explained this to my new team leader who took over in Jan and she said she would have to go and speak to somone i said fine! i was the told that i oculd do what had been said on the from this time but a more ''permant'' solution would have to been found!

Now after finding out there was going to be a fire drill i started to panic went all white and shaky this was all i could think about, in turn this set my IBS off and i was almost sick with worry!

I have phoned in today sick and it has not gone down to well i could teel by the tone fo her voice!

any way my question is do i have to do the fire dirll even though this causes me a great deal of stress and panic! and as long as i am aware of the exits and where the asembaley point is ?

I know this seems very silly but i just really cant cope with it. most people i know love the fire drill as its time off work and ane extra fag break for the smokers!!

also to add the fire drill did not go ahead in the end!!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 06:46 AM
I dont know what the regulations are but where i used to work, one person always tended to stay back to answer the phones so very rarely did we all go.

Seems a bit unreasonable not to let you go somewhere else as long as they know you are there, i dont see the harm, gone are the days when companies actually cared about their staff!!

Hope you get something sorted!
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 07:22 AM
You poor thing, if it helps I suffer like this as well. I even got to a point a while back that I wouldn't even leave the house without my husband. I'm better about things now and the doctors have decided that depression isn't a good word any more and say I've got a bi-polar disorder. I can only assume this means I need to find the exact spot between the north and south poles to find true peace and enlightenment. LOL

When I worked in a large establishment, I found that if I kept an MP3 player handy along with a book I was enjoying, I could join the crowds outside for the fire drills etc so long as I stood on the edge of it all. Then I just plugged the MP3 player into my head and buried my nose in the book. Hey presto, instant own world. Perhaps this method could work for you too. You've got the music to muffle the crowd noise and the writing in the book to direct your eyes and mind towards.

Small tip though, just keep casting a quick eye around you to ensure people are still there and haven't been told they can return to work. LOL

Heidi
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the advise, the other problem i have is that when i get stressed worried it sets my IBS off im not sure i could stand out side that long with no loo!

Also work have got this 5 absences in a rolling year business which i know i am going to be put on a sick report when i go back! as it was about this time last year it all got too much for me and went to the doctors and i started counciling (sp) i was signed off for 3 weeks.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 10:38 AM
have you a union there...they would be better to advise you as they will know your companies procedures! but i think it a bit off that they have completley disregarded your concerns!
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes i think i wll contact them but i will feel a bit silly as im sure they deal with a lot more staff problems than mine!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by hollie01 View Post
Yes i think i wll contact them but i will feel a bit silly as im sure they deal with a lot more staff problems than mine!
It might not seem a big deal to them but it is to you, so, i would definitely have a word, casually drop in the word "discrimination" and that should get them to take notice

Good luck!!