Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LukeRR
New Member!
Male 

13-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Puppy bonding & Vacinations

My girlfriend and I just got 2 Golden retriever pups, one for each of us. Now, we are already aware of the threat of the dogs forming a super-bind and are going to crate them apart. However, my grandmother lives with us currently and will be at home with the dogs for the few overlapping hours that we work.

First, at the risk of sounding like the biggest jerk ever, I want my dog to recognize me as it’s owner and primary bond. Do you think her being alone, playing with the dogs for 4-6 hours a day will be an issue with their behavior or bonding? Obviously I’m not going to tell her she can have nothing to do with them, but when she gets done with therepy and loves out I don’t want the dogs to freak out thinking their owner has left. Am I just overthinking it?

Second, and probably more important if a question, our Breeder says that the pups get shots at 4 weeks (Neo-pavo) and a 5-way at 6 weeks, does this conclude all vaccinations besides rabies? Is there anymore vaccinations they will need in the next year?
Bob Simmons
New Member!
Male 

01-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Dogs are pretty much more smarter that how we think they are! Even if you do not get a lot of time to spend with your dog, your dog still knows who their owner is. I don't think that you have to worry that much! Everything will be solved, if you truly care about your dog! All is well
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by LukeRR View Post
My girlfriend and I just got 2 Golden retriever pups, one for each of us. Now, we are already aware of the threat of the dogs forming a super-bind and are going to crate them apart. However, my grandmother lives with us currently and will be at home with the dogs for the few overlapping hours that we work.

First, at the risk of sounding like the biggest jerk ever, I want my dog to recognize me as it’s owner and primary bond. Do you think her being alone, playing with the dogs for 4-6 hours a day will be an issue with their behavior or bonding? Obviously I’m not going to tell her she can have nothing to do with them, but when she gets done with therepy and loves out I don’t want the dogs to freak out thinking their owner has left. Am I just overthinking it?
Does it actually matter?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Yes you are overthinking it. How can you tell her she can't have anything to do with them anyway? Obviously your grandmother and other folks will have an influence on your puppies (hopefully for the good). Golden retrievers are friendly, family type dogs; they are loyal, but not generally one man dogs - and in the situation you describe, I would not think you would want this anyway (if it was achievable). Just enjoy your puppy/s play with them, spend time with them and train them as you go along. No need to be precious about your dog being friendly towards others. If it wasn't you would have more problems than you realise. Your dog needs to be happy and well balanced and playing and interacting with other folks and other dogs is all part of their development.

I can't really answer your question about vaccination - as you are in another country with different regulations and local conditions. Just be guided by what your vet tells you.