Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Clicker query

This is probably a silly question but when you click can you also say "good girl" etc?
Also, can anyone tell me why the training treats haven't to be in your pocket?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
This is probably a silly question but when you click can you also say "good girl" etc?
Also, can anyone tell me why the training treats haven't to be in your pocket?
Everyone does it differently
Some people like the totaly clinical thing of them making no noise and barley moving

I like to talk 'clever boy, what a good boy, 'click' GOOD BOY'

treats can be wherever as well, I think the idea there is you dont want the dog to not work if he knows you dont have treats in your pocket, I find once the dog gets the hang of working of treats I can just leave an open bowl on the floor and the dog ignores it focusing on earning his treat

everyone does things differently
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Treats don't have to be in any specific place They can be wherever you want them to be. You don't want to have them in the same place every time otherwise your dog can easily become dependent on seeing the treat or knowing where the treat is to perform. I sometimes have a treat in my hand, sometimes in a bag, sometimes in my pocket, sometimes in a pot next to me, sometimes in a pot across the room. Depends what I'm doing and what I'm using as a treat to be honest.

As for not speaking, I do tell Rupe he's a good boy but I keep the talking to a minimum rather than chatter on to him all the time. I can't concentrate on what I'm doing if someone's talking to me so I don't expect my dog to.
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Ah that's good, I think mine respond better to a bit of flattery! I hope I'm not being a bit optimistic but I think I have just taught both of them (10 weeks and 10 1/2 years) to sit. It's amazing what a little treat can do isn't it?! I never really taught Poppy any tricks as she was always as good as gold but the young 'un is such a little rip I think it's going to be a necessity
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:01 PM
i always say good after...mind u i often lose/misplace my clicker so i often just use 'yes'-treat-'good dog'
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I personally wouldn't say good boy/girl too because it defeats the point of the clicker. The clicker is designed to replace verbal recognition of the action because it's generally quicker and doesn't vary in tone, volume or from person to person. If you're annoyed, tired or ill the dog won't pick that up from a click, but might sense it in your voice and react to it.
If you're not getting along with the clicker then there's no reason you couldn't just choose a word to replace it though, e.g. "good", "bingo", or similar, as long as you're confident you can say it in relatively the same tone of voice so as to not confuse the dog.

Never heard of any rules on where the treats should be though. I keep them whereever is convenient, in my hand, in a pocket, in a treat pouch, on a plastic tub on the side (if I'm training at home). The whole point of the clicker is that the dog learns that they've done right at the moment you clicked them and that a treat it on the way, so there's no need for the treat to be immediate. 2 seconds, 5 seconds, as long as you give some reward (doesn't even have to be food, could be fuss, a play with a toy etc)
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Maybe I picked it up wrong-I read a thread on here about clicker training and it said something about not keeping the treats on your person? The thing is mine can see the little pot in full view but it still seems to be working...horses for courses I suppose.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I find the clicker a hell of a lot faster and clearer for Rupert than me saying "yes" or "good boy" or whatever. Plus as you say it doesn't show frustration or any other emotion. However, Rupe has a tendency to worry if I just sit there in silence and only click and treat. Possibly because it's so unnatural for me to be interacting with him and not speaking. So I click the behaviour and tell him he's a good boy as I give him his reward.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:40 PM
My treats go wherever it is convenient, I tend to speak if it is a really good action but try to just click as that is more definite and less confusing.

The clicker is quite forgiving.

rune
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I think praising along with clicking is more "me" so that's what I'll do, though I have to say just praising and treats works pretty good too.