Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
awheel
New Member!
Male 

09-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Introducing another dog to the family

I thought it would be a good idea for people to tell their storys of when they added another dog to the family.
What problems they may of had and how they overcame them. How they went about introducing them and any other advice that they feel would be good to let others know who are looking at adding additions to the family?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Excellent idea!

Picking up our new puppy on Saturday so this could really help us out.

Looking forward to hearing from all you seasoned multi-dog owners...

J
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Perhaps i have been very lucky, I havnt had a problem with either pups or adult dogs.
i tend to make it a very low key affair,and i dont keep them seperate,as sometimes I think this can cause a problem.
Common sense plays a big part, only you really know your dog.
Good luck with your new family member.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, I've only ever done this once: Kali was 4 years old and Snorri was 10 weeks. All Snorri wanted to do was to play with this bigger dog: Kali wanted to be the grumpy old man, ignoring him, after the first inquisitive sniffing.

All afternoon, it was "Come on, play!" and "P*** off." In the evening we got them both fed, separately, and later on, bedded down for the night (Kali in the kitchen, Snorri in the porch).

Next morning, both went out for "business". Kali showed a little interest, as if to say "Ho-hum, what's he doing, still here?"

After a couple of weeks (?) Kali picked up a toy, and that was it. Snorri tried to steal it and the game was afoot. Tugs of war broke out all over the garden, so we reckoned that it was a done deal.

I have a feeling it went more easily because they are brothers, although from different litters - family smell?????

Snorri
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Max was introduced to Murphy when the litter were about 5 weeks old.

He wasn't bothered, the puppies weren't bothered and the dam wasn't bothered.

Max meeting the puppies (but being more interested in me, sat in the whelping box)

When we brought Murphy home, they met in the garden first:

We brought the crate out to use with Murphy, but after a few nights, he and Max became quite distressed because they couldn't get to each other.
Actually, Max wanted to squash himself in the crate and turf the puppy out!

We folded the crate up and the boys just slept on a bed together:

They've been as thick as thieves ever since!

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I think it depends on the dogs and the owners tbh. I have 5 that are very sociable and accept newcomers readily, but that reflects the way they have been brought up more than anything else.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Fortunately I have not had any problems....
First I introduced Reah to Meg, Meg was 18 and Reah came into our lives at the age of approx 5 yrs..........all Meg did was nurture and protect her. When Meg reached the age of her 23rd year we got Skye as a nine week old pup, and both Reah and Meg treated her with motherly ways. Meg unfortunately had to be pts 3 months after Skye's arrival.
When we got Bruce 7 months ago,
we took Reah and Skye to meet Bruce at around 17days old, Skye wouldn't look at him, but Reah was very gentle. But when Bruce came to live with us Skye really changed her mind and they are definately the best of friends now, with Reah watching over them both like a Gran.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
ooo some good storys there!

im adding a new pup in nov hopefully, i dont think ill have much of a problem archie loves new dogs wants to play 24/7 and he will be jsut over a year old then so still playful enough to run rings around the new pupster!

i am going to meet the 'family'!! that the breeder owns prob a month before she is even mated!! then again maybe a few more times haha! she wont be able to get rid of me!

archie will come to pick up the new pup or stay at home, not quite sure on this yet, and they will meet in the garden once home!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
We've had Chip for over a week now and no problems at all

We took Dale with us when we collected the puppy and let them have a sniff in the garden before they went into the house.

The thing that I find surprising is the amount of cheek Dale puts up with. He'll let the puppy do what it likes. I make sure they're apart at meal times because Dale stands back and lets Chip help himself and Dale isn't a submissive dog.`I'm really enjoying watching them play together. dale seems to know just how rough he can be.
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I was really enoying scrolling down reading this thread.
Then it stopped.
This thread is great I could read pages and pages of it.

I'm hoping to get another dog soon another mini poodle a female rescue.