View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Personally I would rather not take my bitches to shows when they are pregnant. I do remember a lady who was 8months pregnant running her dog round the ring at Crufts (he got BOB) and my friend was 2weeks off giving birth when she was in the ring. The funny thing was she could outrun the other exhibitors in her class
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I once judged a 4 week in whelp bitch in Obedience who won my class(the bitch is now C only)& a late friend of mine had a BC bitch who worked up to giving birth & straight away afterwards from choice, if he didn't let her work, she became very distressed & upset-he gave up trying to stop her in the end & let her do what she was bred to do

I thouight it was very interesting after a certain bitch went BIS at Crufts weeks later she was shown(advertising a certain well known dog food(which she was never fed on)with her "new litter"of puppies aged 4 weeks. Strangely enough the litter contained 3 puppies of a colour that she doesn't have registered to her until 3 years after her win !!!!!! The age of the puppy & the timing of the advert would have meant she had been 7/8 weeks in whelp at the time of Crufts !!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
What other disciplines? Think agility would be too risky.
My bitch that recently had a litter competed in a kc lincensed agility competition at 4 weeks pregnant.
My thoughts on it are that she was not ill, she was still jumping around like a lunatic at home, and she was more than capable of completing an agility course lasting less than a minute.
I was a little extra cautious in ensuring her entry onto the dog walk was straight, but apart from that treated her as normal...and she came away with a high placing so couldnt have affected her too badly....Oh and all the pups were none the worse for wear
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 08:21 PM
i think if the bitch is happy, and is also having a healthy pregnancy with no complications then its ok. daph loves showing, and id quite happily take her to a show, providing she wasnt too close to her due date, and was comfortable.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 10:40 PM
not something I would ever do.. doesnt sit right with me!
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 08:50 AM
i wouldn't.......... too risky for my liking
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm not saying I would. I'm saying it can be done though as long as the bitch is healthy and the owner listens to her I don't see much of a problem. I could of entered a few with daphni but haven't because I'm presuming she is in whelp.
WufWufs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Surely taking a pregnant bitch to any kind of dog event (shows/agility) exposes her to lots of potential sources of infections - kennel cough and bacteria that can cause haemorrhagic diarrhoea to name but two? Not the most responsible choice to make :/
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by WufWufs View Post
Surely taking a pregnant bitch to any kind of dog event (shows/agility) exposes her to lots of potential sources of infections - kennel cough and bacteria that can cause haemorrhagic diarrhoea to name but two? Not the most responsible choice to make :/
Yes you are quite right it is entirely irresponsible to take a pregnant bitch out to anywhere where she may be exposed to lots of potential sources of infection........

Ie the real world.

We should keep them indoors and not let them out at all for the entire period of their confinement lest they be exposed kennel cough or ANY bacteria which, let us face is, is all around us.

And naturally we should remove ALL other dogs from the household of the pregnant bitch in case THEY come into contact with any bacteria or droplets from KC.

The owners should remove all outdoor shoes before they enter the house.

In fact, why allow them to become pregnant in the first place.......... FAR too risky........

It is EXTREMELY irresponsible of owners of pregnant bitches to treat them like normal dogs.

Shocking, I am sure there ought to be a law against it............
WufWufs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Woah, chill out! Massive overreaction. Nothing wrong with taking a pregnant bitch for walkies outside, I was talking about taking her to a dog event with 100s of dogs in very close proximity, with unknown vaccination status...ask any vet where dogs pick up the majority of infections and I think you'll find that they say most infections are transmitted dog to dog or via fomites in the ground left by other dogs. Calm down a bit please - I find your tone a little aggressive!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >