View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
On the subject of asking permission before adding a link from your site to another person's, I usually do ask. Partly out of courtesy and partly because you might get a link back! )
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 11:36 AM
OK had a cup od tea and calmed down a bit now

Yes, the OP wanted to know about pasting web sites, I only used the OFF forum 'cos I know it's one of Azz's and wouldn't likely be 'banned' by the system.

I've never seen any mention of web sites and forums being different formats - my fault I guess but annoying never the less So here goes with a web site instead of a forum.

For lovely doggy holidays
<a href="http://www.simplesite.com/dogsforesthols"> look here</a>

ETA:-

Oh hell, that's a web site (I beleive it's theone Helena wanted to use)

So what's wrong NOW !!!!!!!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Sorry, I don't mean what you're linking to, but where you're actually putting the link.
If you want to paste a link (to a website or to a forum) in a thread on this forum, or most other forums, you need to use BBcode.
Helena is talking about making her own website, and putting links on the website, not putting them on this forum. Websites are made in HTML (with all the triangle brackets like <this>)
So to post the link here on a forum thread, you need to use
HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.google.com"]Click here for Google[/URL]
which displays as
Click here for Google
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Where are you trying to paste links? On the forum?
The original post is about posting links on a website that the OP is creating so OP would most likely be editing the website in some kind of website editing program, hence the instructions. If you're talking about posting links on a forum then it's no wonder you're not finding it easy, because you're reading a thread about something different! It would be a bit like reading a thread about how to use gears in a car (which is easy enough once you get the hang of it) and then trying to use those instructions in an automatic.
Posting a link on a forum is a bit different but much simplier. You just need to use the appropriate code for the forum - most use BBcode nowadays which is the stuff with square brackets like [these]. [img] for a picture, [url] for a link, etc.
Sorry krlyr - I've seen lot's of people shorten their links on forums, I've wanted to do it myself. Anyway I don't get the basic principle here and if it means learning BB code or whatever then I don't have the time or the inclination to do it, I'll just paste the whole link.

I thought I was helping Helena out by just running through the instructions above and so when she comes on here latter she could see by my trying how to do it.

Big apologies Helena I seem to have hijacked your thread, I'll get out now and let you get on with it, I hope you have more success than I did, or at least have the time to study BB code and all that stuff, sadly I don't have enough time to do the easy things let alone all this 'clever' stuff.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I think you've misunderstood this whole thread.
Helena does not want to post shortened links on this forum. Helena wants to post shortened links on her website.
Forum posts use BBcode, websites use HTML, two different "languages". So the instructions to Helena were instructions for HTML - as you have found out, they won't work on forums as forums use BBcode. As per my example - if someone asked how to use gears in a manual car, you couldn't go and try out those instructions in an automatic car, they just wouldn't work.
You don't really have to learn BBcode to shorten links on a forum, forums tend to have buttons that do all the code for you, like the little picture button for images (you enter the image address and it puts the [img] tag for you), you click the speechmark and it does the [quote] tags, you press the globe & chainlink icon and it puts your [url] tags in for you.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Of course you don't have to use code to paste a link either in a forum or for an html page. For most forums, there's a link button. For example, if you reply to or start a thread on Dogsey, the link button is to the rightg of the text format options. The globe and chain link icon.

For html pages, a wysiwyg editor like Kompozer has a similar button that allows you to enter whatever the url is and what you want to appear on the page.

If you want to see how web pages are constructed, most browsers have a menu option that lets you view the source, on the toolbar.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 02:17 PM

..... and as for poor old Losos!!!

and can somebody get me one of these????

thanks for all the help guys, I'll try and work on it later when my mind is fresh after a nice, long lie down.... Hopefully, like you said, I might actually find some help by the website hosters or whatever they're called! I've managed to do all the rest quite easily with their help, but these links got me baffled! I'm even more baffled now though, I thought it was just a "simple" procedure!! Oh Lordy!!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Are you using a WYSIWYG editor for it? I.e. you just see the page as it's displayed and type in text, insert images, etc. much like making a Word or Publisher file? Or are you editing the HTML, i.e. you have all the <head>, <title>, <body>, etc. tags on display and you're manually entering HTML?
A WYSIWYG editor problem has a similar button to the forum, i.e. you type "Link here", select it, hit that button and enter the website link, and it makes your selected text into a link.
If you're editing the HTML or have an option to switch to HTML then you may find it easier to learn why you write what you're writing. Getting an understanding of it all may help you to remember what to do. I find W3 Schools a good source for learning HTML, it's a bit plainer and more "adult" than some of the HTML tutorials out there.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks krlyr, all very interesting stuff, but far too late, I've scanned through it and will attempt something tomorrow. As for Losos, well he might be having a late night tonight

Meanwhile H, this one's also for you - good luck! Make sure you've got those Paracetamol's handy on the desk!!!!
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=139334
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I find W3 Schools a good source for learning HTML, it's a bit plainer and more "adult" than some of the HTML tutorials out there.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp
Thanks for that link krlyr - if I ever get a few minutes I'll have a look, appreciate your help even if it didn't get me going on these linky things (BTW I found out how to post links all by myself, just never worked out the 'short' version thingy )

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks krlyr, all very interesting stuff, but far too late, I've scanned through it and will attempt something tomorrow. As for Losos, well he might be having a late night tonight
Nah H don't do 'late nights' anymore well not unless it's an emergancy and I don't think that being able to do 'short version' links is that, well not for me anyway
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >