Our sister sites
Our sister sites
runner85
New Member!
Female 

17-11-2009, 02:15 AM

Hello, looking for some assistance

Hello

I was wondering if any of you lovely dog owners can help me. I have a research do on dog owners and I need some assistance. It would only take a few minutes of your time.

-Basically, I want to find out how much you spend on a week on your dog and on what.
-Your daily activities with your dog from when you wake up to when you go to bed and your feelings associated with these activites.
-How has your dog changed your life and what they mean to you.
-Any other information that you think can help with your experience of owning a dog

Thank you ever so much.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Basically, I want to find out how much you spend on a week on your dog and on what.

I buy fresh food at the grocery store, meat, pasta, veggies, and supplements so probably $15 (US) a week on food and supplements.

I also have labwork, check up at the vets every three months (as she has kidney disease) which costs about $200 (US) every three months.

Treats/Toys/Park entrance fees for walks all total about $8 (US) a week average.

-Your daily activities with your dog from when you wake up to when you go to bed and your feelings associated with these activites.

When I wake up, Moxie jumps up on the bed with a toy in her mouth. We then spend at least ten minutes wrestling tugging and playing fetch on the bed. Then she gets breakfast made for her (cooked fresh) Then a short morning walk to eliminate (20 min). Later in the day usually mid afternoon we have a long walk (about an hour sometimes more sometimes less). Around 6pm she has dinner again cooked fresh and a short walk to eliminate. Around 9pm, I feed the cats and as one is neurotic and has to have me in the room to eat, Moxie comes in and we have a good cuddle on the bed, sometimes we play again like in the morning. Another breif walk in the yard around 11pm then its lights out for the night. Weekends we go to parks, out in the country, for off lead romps and long rambles. In summer we spend a lot of time at the lake swimming and hiking. These outings used to last all day, but are a bit shorter now due to her age (she is ten). We also go to training once a week. and train tricks during the day for brief periods. We also go to therapy visits once a week, sometimes twice (she is a certified thereapy dog and has been for 8 years)

How do I feel about this? I LOVE it, because I LOVE my dog! Cooking for her is a pain sometimes because we all get short on time occassionally but due to her health concerns its what is best for her and I do what is best for my pet not just what is convenient for me. Same goes for walks, sometimes I'm tired, or the weather isn't cooperating, or I'm short on time, but a dog needs to be walked every day, its in her best interest. Selfishly I love cuddle time and wrestle play time, and our weekends out together. Training is fun for me too, and interacting with other dog lover.

Before I got Moxie, I stuggled with depression, was withdrawn socially and stayed in and didn't get much exercise. Moxie got me out and active, out of the house and meeting new people, making new friends. When we started doing therapy dog work, she really inspired me to have a purpose for my life, so I'm in school to be a Social Worker. She has changed my whole outlook on life. She's a very special girl.

-Any other information that you think can help with your experience of owning a dog.

Dogs have taught me so much over the years, particuarly Moxie who I got when I was 18 and only just out on my own. She's my constant companion and you just couldn't buy love like that. She's a rescue. Rescues have so much love to give.

Hope this helps.
runner85
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Yes. Thank you very much muttzrule. This information was very helpful indeed. : )
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 01:49 AM
-Basically, I want to find out how much you spend on a week on your dog and on what.

mmm... not sure on that one. well, i spend £30 on a bag of food that lasts jake about 8 weeks, so just under £4 a week and i got tins of dog food to mix in with it which cost £3.60 a week. so about £7.60 a week on food. i also spend a few pounds on toys, i get cuddly toys from the charity shop and usually spend about £2, and jake goes through them very fast! his insurance is also £10 a month so thats £2.50 per week. and a couple pounds of treats, either doggy treats or some meat... so roughly about £17... unless i forgot some things... will have a think...

me and jake have no routine whatsoever, he usually gets me up around 8am to go do the toilet, and then we got for at least 2 walks a day, but depending on if im at work and/or college he can get up to 4. the time spent on walking ranging from 15 - 40 minutes per walk, depending on the time of day. his first and last walks are always less than his during the day walks. he also gets fed 3 times a day, usually a wee while after a walk. he gets kibble with a bit of wet food mixed in. we also have a few play sessions throughout the day, in which we mix in some fun training. but, again, we have no routine so thats a difficult one lol. i love all my time spent with jake, provided he is behaving

jake has changed my life more than i could ever have expected. he always shows his complete love and devotion to me, and no matter what i do, he holds nothing against me. i suffer from many problems (depression, anxiety, ocd just to name a few ) and jake can still always make me smile. he gives me amazing cuddles and is so patient with me when im upset, and he licks away my tears. he knows when something is wrong, and so will come and lie with his head rested on me. he also forces me to get out of bed every morning, and makes sure i got out and get exercise. i have also met many people coz of him. he also makes me feel sane when i talk to myself, coz i can pretend i am talking to him he is the most amazing dog, and i would be lost without him. he helps me cope.

-Any other information that you think can help with your experience of owning a dog

jake is my first dog, that is all mine. i am 100% responsible for him, he has made me feel successful, that i can achieve things. that i can look after him, better than anyone else. i know him inside out. also, he is a rescue. i love rescues, and although he was a pup when i got him so hadnt had a hard start to life, it still wasnt the best... he is a fantastic dog! i couldnt imagine having another dog. he has taught me so much, my last dog sam (family dog) was so easy, whereas jake has tested me so much. and at time, i have failed but it just makes me realise i need to keep going to succeed for both of us. its me and him forever, and i know he will always be by my side, and i will make damn sure i dont let my baby down. i love jake more than i could ever have thought possible.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-11-2009, 03:16 AM
That's a whopper of a question or at least it's a big job posting a reply so well done to anybody that does.

Off to bed now but I'll check back as I think it would be good read.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Why are you researching this please?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=runner85;1824439]Hello

I was wondering if any of you lovely dog owners can help me. I have a research do on dog owners and I need some assistance. It would only take a few minutes of your time.

Money wise it's hard to know what I spend. I get a lot of their food for free from the butcher and probably spend an average of £3.00-£5.00 per week on food to supplement that. I spend just over £10.00 per week on training classes too. I don't buy toys very often because they aren't toy motivated so their stuff lasts for ever.

Daily activities...I get up at 7am and walk them for half an hour, then I feed them. My eldest dog does the school run with me because she likes to see all the children. I take them to work with me at 9.30 and they sleep in their large indoor kennel until around 1pm when they go out into the yard for a wee. I do a bit of training with them, which comprises of a few minutes agility practice, obedience then show training. Rio likes her treat ball to play with and then they get a chew to keep them occupied. I finish work at 5 ish and take them home, let them in the garden for a wee whilst I feed the kids, then walk them which takes about an hour. When we get back I let them rest a while then feed them. They go out into the garden again at about 11pm then Dan sleeps on the settee and Rio sleeps in my room. On Thursdays we go to agility. Rio does the training and Dan chills in the car, because they would rather be in the car than left at home. On Fridays Dan does obedience, and once a month both dogs do ringcraft. At weekends we often go to dog shows, and both dogs are shown.

I love taking the dogs training and walking them. They are the love of my life (after my kids!) and they make me happy, so it's my job to make them happy in return.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by runner85 View Post
Hello

Thank you ever so much.
Can we ask why you want to know!!!!!!!
Simira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2009, 11:57 AM

(approximately)
£5 on courses
£2 on treats
£8 on food
And of course occasionally new equipment and toys, and vet bills and insurance. Insurance is about £50/yr, vet bills mostly about £150/yr.

Let him out in the backyard (hurry, I want to get inside and have my breakfast).
Giving breakfast (hope he's eating today, he's not very food-driven).

Let him out in the backyard occasionally during the day (do what you have to, and come back in), in summertime doors are open all day for him to walk in and out as he want to.

Take him for a walk or run in the fields, is something we both really enjoy.

Serving dinner (raw of leftovers, which he always eats).

I try to train him every day, but mostly it comes down to a few sessions 3-4 days a week.
Once a week we go to classes and get feedback and learn new things.

Having my dog means getting out a lot more than I would. It makes being outdoors a positive experience. Also the communication and working together with my dog is essential to me. There's always someone to take care of, he's there when I leave for work and there when I get home, always happy to see me.

Having a dog teaches you patience, temper control, structure (for training), devotion, love and using money!
runner85
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm doing a university research on dog owners and thier relationship with thier dogs. I'm going to give a presentation on my findings and propose new ways to improve the quality of life for dog ownes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >