View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madness861
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Jack Russell Cross keeps being sick - what could be causing frequent vomiting?

We rescued our dog from our dogs home approx 1 year 1/2 ago.
The trouble is you can guarantee he is sick every couple of days or so.

We took him the vets to confirmed nothing was wrong and can be quite normal.

I bought him back home and again is constantly sick and at first was bright yellow which I thought was stomach acid,
I rung the vets and they told me to give him sweet tea and a big of scrambled egg.

He seems fine in himself but am still not happy so I asked my partner to take him down and complain to say we wanted him checking again.

He has had all his jabs and is putting on weight etc, his appetite is ok and we even give him gluten and wheat free dog food as we found that the tins of meat was too rich for him.

The vet gave us some antibiotics as when we first got juke, he had very bad kennel cough and took us ages to get rid of it.

Juke hadnt been sick for ages after completing the antibiotics but he was sick again the other night. This time it looked like undigested food and was going all over the house been sick approx 6 times but again, seems fine in himself, I just dont know what to do .

Any ideas as the vet does not know either
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 07:12 PM
cut out the sweet tea for a start!! Why the vet thinks a sick dog needs caffeine, milk and sugar, I can't say but it wouldn't be something I'd give a healthy dog let alone a sick one. Dogs generally don't tolerate the lactose in milk well and that alone could cause digestive problems. Scrambled egg is fine to feed on occasion but not constantly.

What food do you usually feed him? How often is he fed? Is there a pattern to the time of day that he vomits up the bile? Sorry, more questions than answers.

Some dogs will bring up bile if their stomach is empty. One of mine does it, usually in the early hours of the morning so he gets a light snack at bedtime so he has something in his tummy...just a bonio or a piece of toast. It may be that he needs smaller meals fed more frequently.

As he has brough tup undigested food now, I would starve him for 24 hours and then feed small regular meals of boiled chicken/white fish and plain rice (boil the rice until it is 'mush'). Start with only a tablespoon or so of food to see if he keeps it down okay and then you can gradually increase the amount if all seems okay.

If there is no improvement in him by the start of the week, I would return to the vet. And if you're still not getting any satisfactory answers, seek a second opinion.

Hope you manage to get to the bottom of the problem soon
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Hello Madness may I make a couple of observations and suggestions.

You don't say when this problem started, I am guessing a while ago from your post and I would imagine your vet has ruled out an obstruction of some kind/an infection which can be a reason for prolonged periods of vomiting. Has your dog had his mouth and teeth checked and can he chew alright?

When he has bouts of sickness I would feed boiled white rice and white fish or chicken just small amounts at once, if he is ok gradually reintroduce his normal food a little at a time.

How many meals do you feed? Maybe his tummy can't tolerate large amounts of food at a time so he is regurgitating it. I would move onto giving him three small meals a day from his total daily food allowance for the moment then drop to two meals and stay on that. If you are concerned in any way see the vet again.