View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 08:37 AM

My boy is doing well - but how long does it take for a puppy to be housetrained?

Hello all

Just thought I'd update you on Fern's progress. As some of you know he's a determined little chap to say the least

However we called a behaviourist in on Thursday or Wednesday (sorry memory a bit hazy - sleep deprivation ) and our boy became a different dog overnight

He's a friendly wee chap, loves to play with the keys Tuti gave him - he shakes them around like he's trying to kill something....our little hunter Fern

He enjoys retrieving items and we have since taught him fetch which he loves to play. He is a sharp cookie and has learnt to sit, come, fetch - and totally understands the words 'well done' and 'no'

He's selective about the command go to bed but then who isn't really...

We are still having a few puddles in the house - when I took him out at 5am this morning I didn't get the back door open fast enough and the flood gates opened

Which leads me to ask, how long does it take for a pup to distinguish outdoors from indoors if indeed they do at all? He has the word puddles as his toilet command - however he will go inside without the command obviously LOL - he's quite clever, he'll grab a toy and run 2 metres ahead of us inside and go for gold

And from your experience how long does it take for a pup to be toilet trained? And any key tips on how you got there quick?

Thanks guys - our little man is doing just fine
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Awww wot a little darling.

Try this
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/min...page_5133.html

Mini always has good info on all aspects of dog ownership. I'm sure there's some tips in there you could use

Good luck
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks Staffy, I've read this one before

Our main problem is our house is open planned - we've managed to put mdf boards to shut the kitchen up though.

I was going to try a peeing post but not sure whether these are just a gimmick
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2005, 08:59 AM
My 2 were not 100% toilet trained until about 4 months + (probably nearer the 6 month mark) I could judge when they needed to pee before then but that is not the same as them holding it in until being in the appropriate place if that makes sense.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Gotcha Carole, yes totally understand.

We are pretty quick at knowing when he needs to go but he can be a bit sly I've even taken him outside once or twice and he won't go - no toys no play to distract him, just the word puddles, he'll run to the door wanting to go in - I'll let him in and he runs to the front of the house and goes for it

We now stay in the garden and refuse to take him in until he's gone - it can be a very looonnnnng wait I tell you
Carole
Supervisor

17-09-2005, 09:23 AM
I remember standing in the rain with Star for over an hour one night it was a battle of the wits and I was not giving in.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Keep going Ingrid, you are doing very well
Both my boys held all through the night, from day 1, not one accident ever over night, think i have flukes!
Every dog is different though, it doesnt matter when they are housetrained, it will all come together one day!
Meg
Supervisor

17-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
He's selective about the command go to bed but then who isn't really...

We are still having a few puddles in the house - when I took him out at 5am this morning I didn't get the back door open fast enough and the flood gates opened

Which leads me to ask, how long does it take for a pup to distinguish outdoors from indoors if indeed they do at all? He has the word puddles as his toilet command - however he will go inside without the command obviously LOL - he's quite clever, he'll grab a toy and run 2 metres ahead of us inside and go for gold

And from your experience how long does it take for a pup to be toilet trained? And any key tips on how you got there quick?

Thanks guys - our little man is doing just fine
Hi MC firstly the H/T method I suggested that Staffy posted about was updated and explained in more detail in the article section

...It is not really a case of Fern distinguishing between 'going' inside or outside, it is more a case of 'going' where you take him and teach him to go until he learns your wishes and is old enough to 'hold it and wait' to get there himself and of course all puppies are different , some can hold on longer than others. He will not physically be able to maintain full bladder/bowel control until around four months or so therfore can't be expected to be fully houstrained before then (as I explained in the article ) However...with a little care that does not mean he will soil in the house... to give you just one example Amy soiled in the house just twice while she was a puppy because I was careful and followed the training from the moment I got her home so I could almost say she was houstrained in days (but of couse she wasn't really I was going for her if you understand what I mean )

Re the bed make sure going to bed is a 'good experience' always use the same word and in a bright voice then lots of praise when Fern obeys .

Fern really does look a delightful puppy you are all doing well and will get there in the end ..it takes a very short time really
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I think by 12 weeks Loki was clean during the day but not able to last the whole night so he used to cry to try to let us know he needed to go out, but we didn't always hear him and by that age he didn't like messing anywhere near his bed and would rip up the newspaper afterwards .

We had him confined to the kitchen at night with plastic sheeting and newspaper around his bed and to the back door. I can't remember when he was completely clean at night but I think it was probably around 4 - 5 months. He had access to the rest of the house during the day from day 1 but I think he only ever soiled the rest of the house about 3 or 4 times for wet and twice for solid because I was really vigilent about my half hour rule. Oh, those cold and wet November/December nights ... brrr.

Don't rush it, it's like Mini says, they only have little bladders and can't hold on for too long but they do get there .

We took him out every half hour and gave the command, "be clean" (I love "puddles" by the way ) and after every meal, bout of excitement and nap. Rewarded big time when he was clean.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 01:21 PM
It took us longer than average by the sounds of things and until about 3 weeks ago still had the odd accident, but always in the kitchen at the door (she has just turned a year old!).
We had to stand outside for ages with Cassie too. She'd sniff all over the yard, squat in various places then decide to finally go!
As for inside to outside, this clicked overnight. One day it was inside then the next day straight outside.
Think you just have to be patient. All pups are different.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >