Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 07:18 PM

How much should I be feeding?

im quite confused as to what ammount of food asbo should be getting.

i dont measure his food at the minute, and he has 3 meals a day. how much should a 3 month old puppy be having daily. he weighs around 1.5 kgs... im guessing that as we havent got any scales

but could just do with help. i think there is enough in his bowl for him, but he eats all of it then goes looking for more but dont know if hes just being plain greedy
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Feeding guides are just that, they're not exact. I have a seven month old Lab bitch here that eats like she's never been fed, she hoovers her food up and looks for more, and yet I struggled initially to get weight on her. I feed by eye, and tend to feed the dog in front of me, they have different metabolisms and energy levels.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I would go by eye too - does he look too skinny or fat?
There are a few charts that may help
http://thoughtfulpawsgrooming.com/dog_weight_chart.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_83OotDXqde...ght_chart1.jpg
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:54 PM
thanks for that. from that chart id say hes ideal, but when i saw some of his litter mates the other week he looked small. hes smaller in size to them though as he was the smallest in the litter.. you can feel his ribs and see an outline but theyre not obvious.. i think its just because he is so small and hairless im noticing it more. daphni was a porker as pup so i never had to worry about her being underweight...
SomersetWestie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Always keep a close eye on your pup's weight gain or loss.
It's easy to weigh your pup! Just weigh yourself first then weigh yourself holding your pup and subtract your own weight.