Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Shady's limping

Its not a hind leg so nothing to do with her cruciate surgery earlier this year thank goodness.
I have noticed her for some weeks licking and chewing under her paw on and off. I've checked it a million times and nothing. Then today over the field I noticed her limping, it was hard to tell which front leg it was and she was running fine just noticed it in trot. I got someone else to have a look and they thought she was limping on the off fore leg. I have checked the foot again even using a torch and nothing. No sign of foreign bodies, no heat, no swelling.
Wandering round the house the limp is not noticeable and she hasn't licked at that foot that i have seen since we have been home. But then she doesn't lick it all the time. When she does though she really gets stuck in.
Anyone any ideas?
She has hydrotherapy tomorrow but if I can see she is still limping on Wednesday I will pop her along to the vets.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Just wondering if it could be the cold at all or a cracked nail? Know you've checked her paws but my dog was limping earlier this year, turned out to be a very slight crack in a nail(just couple of thoughts, not much help) but hope she's ok and you find out soon.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Maybe she has twisted it Bev and it is catching her at certain times when she moves in a certain way.

I hope it clears up soon.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
That description of "getting real stuck in" when she licks her paw reminds me so much of Jimmi and his paw problems.

Jimmi's were doing so well, but with this freezing weather and the rough hard ground he is beginning to walk on three or two legs (yes, two - honestly) again and is thrusting his teeth between his pads and having a real good go.

So far, like Shady, there is nothing to be seen, so I think that it is merely the irritation of walking on frozen ground, and it seems to be selective in that not all paws are affected.

This really is extreme weather isn't it and for dogs that don't have the toughest paws it is not surprising that problems are arising.

I hope that you find the cause soon.