Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:47 PM

EEEEK! found a flea!!

Ok so today I washed Bentleys bed and when I was putting it back on I saw a FLEA!!!!

He has like this big foam type basket bed thingy which doesn’t fit in my washing machine so I have a piece of vet bed on top and just take this off to wash. When I put the vet bed back on the basket part I noticed a tiny black insect crawling, I went to touch it and it jumped so def a flea. I squashed it and couldn’t find anymore anywhere on the basket… i took it outside and shook it etc and there were no more thankfully!!

Checked every inch of Bentley and couldn’t find any more… not even any flea dirt at all! I put a tube of flea drops on him anyway just incase and have hoovered around my room.

What should I do!!! Just looking online to try and find some flea spray but don’t know what one is best?? he has only had them once before and thats when i lived at home and we had no carpets or anything

Eek I hate them things they give me the creeps lol please help!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Treating a dog is not sufficient you need to treat the house and car.

I spray the house and car every six months with either Acclaim or Indorex.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes i know thats why I asked what one (house spray) was best to use

if i only found one flea on Bentleys bed ... but none or no flea dirt on him, is it possible that the flea got on the vet bed whilst drying outside or not really

i just thought id see at least some flea dirt on him and theres nothing? and he is white so would be really easy to see.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Is it possible that perhaps it wasn't a flea? There are some tiny creepy crawlies that do jump when disturbed. Also, fleas are not easy to squash as such.......they have very hard little bodies and generally need to be "popped" between your nails or similar!! Squashing a flea generally results in a very much alive critter leaping out of your fingers the minute you open them again.

Still, you don't want to lie awake at night wondering about it , so pop into your local pet store or even the vet because there are oodles of products out there suitable for using in the house and on furnishings etc.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a flea but don't really no for sure! Just thought it was strange i didnt find anything on Bentley at all (and believe me i was going over him with a fine toothed comb.. literally!! for about 20 mins) .. he's white and short haired and there was NO flea dirt at all and not one single flea on him either

Ok dont laugh at me but i think i heard somewhere that if you put the flea on a piece of wet paper there will be a little red blotch around the flea on the paper??? is that right? i did that (after i squashed it!) and there was no redness.. but I could have heard that completely wrong and that might not be what you do at all!!

Anyway have ordered some Acclaim 2000 spray just now so hopefully that will be here early next week and I put the flea drops on Bentley just incase!! We live in a studio flat and have carpet in the lounge/bedroom but wooden floor in the kitchen area so thankfully there isnt much space we need to spray.. i knew there were plus sides to living in a shoe box!!!

Nasty horrible little things!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Whatever it was you sound as if you have it all sorted

The wet tissue paper thing is for checking bits of dirt on a dog's coat.........you put the suspect dot on the paper and if it turns from black to red then it's flea dirt.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh ok I wasnt completely wrong then, new I'd herd something along those lines!!!
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah i've used acclaim around the house and i think its pretty good.
Yeah Bitkins right about flea dirt on wet paper dissolves into a red blotch but if you do manage to catch a flea if your not sure if it is one put it in a jar/glass of water, it probably wont die but you will most likely see if its a flea no mistaking those legs lol
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Acclaim is good - and Boots sell it as well, about £13. One application lasts at least 6 months, sometimes up to a year. Quite often, if you treat the house and furnishings where fleas may breed, you don't need to use flea sprays and/or spot-ons directly on your animals.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by BentleyBoo View Post
I'm pretty sure it was a flea but don't really no for sure! Just thought it was strange i didnt find anything on Bentley at all (and believe me i was going over him with a fine toothed comb.. literally!! for about 20 mins) .. he's white and short haired and there was NO flea dirt at all and not one single flea on him either

Ok dont laugh at me but i think i heard somewhere that if you put the flea on a piece of wet paper there will be a little red blotch around the flea on the paper??? is that right? i did that (after i squashed it!) and there was no redness.. but I could have heard that completely wrong and that might not be what you do at all!!
Hi BB as the others have said it's not the flea you put on the wet tissue it's any black specks found on a dog suspected of having fleas. Black specks on a dog with fleas are flea excrement and dissolve on wet paper to leave a reddish brown mark. Fleas don't live on a dog they only hop on for a feed so it is possible for a dog to have fleas without seeing any on the dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >