Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Its how most poultry and small mammals are shown I think.
And cats All bedding dishes litter and litter trays have to be white too.
GUISEPPE
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-03-2010, 08:23 AM
doesnt this happen across most breeds though, some get placings with urine stained feet and rotten tatty coats above wonderfully tidy dogs.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:35 AM
We had an overseas judge this year. Result = chaos as all the big names were binned, including home-bred finnish champions LOL. It was a hoot to see 'The Faces' faces LOL.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:46 AM
LOL to assessing the movement, I have seen dogs in the Crufts final line up obviously lame.

LOL to the face judging as well---I was told years ago to wear the same clothes each time as then I would get known faster!

Having said that I have also seen missed contacts ignored in agility qualifiers and HTM results are predictable once you know who the judges are!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
We've said tha before Kerry if every one swapped dogs before going into the ring what would happen then would the same handler win or would the unknown handler with the big winning dog get placed? I know which I think. The problem with whippets and greyhounds is they can be so individual with their markings although they can also be very similar.

The breed judges who also show the breed would know which were the top dogs regardless who was handling it.

A person I work with shows pigeons and told me they are put in cages and the owners have to leave the room so the judges do not know who owns the birds. They asked me why dogs are not judged like this. Try explaining to some one who knows nothing about dogs but think they do that at dog shows the dogs movement is assessed too.

In that scenario and if face judging was going on, then the dog would still get placed.

A breed judge will know that particular (winning) dog no matter who was on the end of the lead, after all its the dogs who gets the tittle and the breeder the exclaim, so even if the breeder was not handling the dog, they would still reap the rewards.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by GUISEPPE View Post
doesnt this happen across most breeds though, some get placings with urine stained feet and rotten tatty coats above wonderfully tidy dogs.
Its whats under the coat that matters!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Its whats under the coat that matters!
Doesn't the state of the coat go to the health of the dog as well....???

If a dog is fit and well, it will have a decent coat.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Doesn't the state of the coat go to the health of the dog as well....???

If a dog is fit and well, it will have a decent coat.
Not necessarily, if said dog is a long coated dog, it can be as fit as a butches dog , but if the owner does not groom the coat it will look rotten and tatty compared to well groomed as GUISEPPE stated.

The coat is one thing, a well groomed coat will not hide conformation faults when a judge puts his hands on said dog... hence my comment on "its whats underneath that counts"!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Its how most poultry and small mammals are shown I think.
Yup, all our waterfowl and poultry are shown this way (as well as our eggs). You're given a number for each entry and have to leave your birds.

Judges can, and do, handle the birds; as they are obviously checking for health/body condition etc as well as plumage etc.

Placings are put on the pens, then everyone is let back in to see what you've got!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ohh gosh u know exactly what you mean...wonder what would happen if we all swapped dogs before going in the ring lol
This happened once in Lakelands a good while back (before I got into the breed). The dogs were all swapped before they went in the ring. Apparently the judges face was a picture and he had no idea what to do. The placements were very interesting!

As most people know, there is a lot more to dog showing than meets the eye. I know for a fact that at least one of this years Crufts judges, had a copy of the catalogue the day before Crufts started. I have also heard stories from a reliable source about what happened with judging last year in a certain breed. Thankfully this story was actually about the judge doing their own thing despite what he had been told to do by a certain organisation, who should have nothing to do with the way the dogs are judged.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >