Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Trick Training Challenge Wk 3

Well after a disastrous week this week for me we now have our challenge for next week and it is......
The Bow!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 10:43 AM
oh no! I've been trying for years to teach this to Hoki and just never managed it.

Perhaps I'll keep working on the spin this week
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I use the command 'bend' for this as bow sounds quite similar to down. I trained Bertie and Teagan to do this by luring down the front end and putting my other hand under their belly to stop the back end going down, but Skye I just caught with a clicker when she was doing a play bow.
If your dog already does this can it do it on verbal command alone? Can you walk around your dog while it stays in a bow?
Here's some pics!

Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Bryan does it, but only if I hold a treat on the floor. I'll try teaching him the verbal command.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I'll have a go at this & still the spin after tommorrow. Tilly's got her bronze test tommorrow so need to practice for that.
Love the pics of bowing
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh no! I've been trying for years to teach this to Hoki and just never managed it.

Perhaps I'll keep working on the spin this week
How have you been trying to teach the bow?
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Bryan does it, but only if I hold a treat on the floor. I'll try teaching him the verbal command.
Lure into the bow, then move your hand a little way, if he stays in the bow, give the treat (if you clicker train you can click while your hand is away if he stays in the bow and then give the treat).
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,

This is gonna be a hard week for us I think. None of mine can do it and beleive me, I've tried. Yiannis has taken to constantly doing high 5s but when I'm least expecting it - so now I get splatted with usually both front feet at the same time.

They all got the twirl and twist without too much effort so we've had it easy so far.

Should be fun trying though.

Laura xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
How have you been trying to teach the bow?
Usually by trying to lure her. but if I put a treat between her front legs she just puts her head down or moves backwards.

I can't try stopping her halfway through a down because (possibly due to her old leg problems) she always goes into a down from a sit - never ever front end first.

She does occassionally play bow, but only when she has a toy and usually only when we're out on a walk. I think this is my best chance of 'catching' her in the act and encouraging it, but when she's got her toy, she isn't interested in treats etc.

I must say, I haven't been trying consistently during the time we've had her - I go through stages of having a go. Even showed Shona once on a walk how Hoki always manages to avoid the lure into the bow.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Have you tried playing tug and when she has a good grip releasing the tug slowly so she leans back?

I will have to watch this one as we already do this...

The command I use for my guys is Stretch.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »