View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I know i am worrying about this too. I was giving mine meaty bones every day before when i was buying from the supermarket, but when i got my meat order it felt like their meals consisted of too much meat compaired to bone. I know it depends on what kind of model diet you are feeding them on but still think they should be having bones every day. Not sure if the mince i have has got bone in it or not. There is supposed to be a lot of nutritional value in bones which you cant get from just meat. I feel the more i read up on it and the more info i find out the more disillusioned i get, i have now started giving one meal a day raw and one of wainwrights as i am so scared i might be getting it wrong or missing something out.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Mine have bone every day but they are big enough to eat enough to have variety in every meal too. The boney part of their food such as chicken wings, ribs etc only forms part of their meal the remainder is made up of chunks, mince, tripe, offal etc. I have never just fed a meal of chicken wings or ribs and nothing else.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 04:02 PM
About four times a week. Twice a week he gets chicken wings with his offal. Once a week chicken carcass or ribs and once a week half a rabbit. I follow prey model but end up feeding more than the 10% bone really but it doesn't affect his poo so it's fine.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I feed bones almost daily in the guise of chicken carcasses, pork/lamb ribs, pork hock, lamb shank, turkey drumsticks, whole rabbits, day old chicks etc. About the only meal I dont feed which contains bone is tripe.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Mine have bone every day but they are big enough to eat enough to have variety in every meal too. The boney part of their food such as chicken wings, ribs etc only forms part of their meal the remainder is made up of chunks, mince, tripe, offal etc. I have never just fed a meal of chicken wings or ribs and nothing else.
see thats my problem, one or two small chicken wings does mine a meal. they only get 150g a day (roundabout i dont weigh it so just guess now, but they arent too thin or too fat) and last time i weighed the wings out properly 3 small wings from landywoods weighs 150gs.
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Every day,i don,t give breakfast ,they have lunch and evening meal.
Lunch is always a bone meal,such as chicken wings or carcass,trotters,pig tails,or lamb bones.
Evening meal is a variety of meats,tripe,heart,tongue,lung,liver sometimes fish and eggs.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
just thought id ask this, as mine get bone 3 meals a week, usually chicken wings, turkey necks or ribs. i wondered if this was enough for them?

how often do you feed bone?
As a very broad generalisation, bearing in mind that my dogs are fed roughly twice a day but often it is not as a meal but during training etc mine get fed a meal of RMBs every day;
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 08:20 AM
i dont know whether to change them or not. they seem fine on their 3 bones a week, and ive never had any problems. but with everyone elses views, it seems like they arent getting enough.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i dont know whether to change them or not. they seem fine on their 3 bones a week, and ive never had any problems. but with everyone elses views, it seems like they arent getting enough.
If it is working and they are fine on it, looking well and happy, then I'd say they are doing OK. If you feed too much, the poo is crumbly and white looking, but if you think their poo is about right, then stay as you are.

My lot get chicken carcases every morning and a mince meal and tripe every evening, which works for them. I never weigh anything out, just go by eye. I dont feed any veg, dont feel they need it and Kalli wont touch it if has veg in her dinner

I sometimes think some people make it such hard work for themselves, trying to get it so completely right, and in doing so, do the opposit and make it far too complicated and start to panic.
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

29-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Mine only get a rmb meal about twice a week but the minces I feed have bone in them, this seems to suit the dogs just fine.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >