Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In fairness though CC, people come on here and ask for advice then take offence when some advice is offered. No one comes on and asks only for advice that they agree with, the request is a general one. Some members get very touchy very quickly and take the best intentioned advice as personal insults...or refuse to take it as they don't agree with it/don't need it. That's fine as that is entirely up to them, but let's not condemn those people who offer advice that the OP doesn't want or agree with.

As for some one bringing up the fact that you have a dog that barks at others on a CM thread....well people mention previous posts on here all the time.I don't think it is a vile or nasty thing to do, but without seeing the posts on the thread concerned it is hard to comment further than that.
I know what you are saying Ramble, that sometimes people don't receive the advice in the way it was given. However, here is the post that I was referring to, where Pebbles' problem was chucked in my face:

QUOTE FROM A DOGSEY MEMBER ON A CM THREAD:
Bothered-do I look bothered ? does my face look bothered ? Nope Your Chihuahuas are of course little angels with all dogs & people that they meet (despite you having to use CM's methods on one of them-oops the words foot & shoot come to mind )
You don't think that's nasty and vile? Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one then. You think after that I'd ever ask for advice on here. Look at Pidge and some of the stick she has suffered for owning her particular breed. I honestly think it's shameful. Some advice is given to help and other advice is given to be nasty and judgmental I think that there are some sad people who get a kick out of being abrupt and careless in their approach. Perhaps we should pity them really, as they probably don't have happy lives, to be so bitter in the first place, maybe
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I know what you are saying Ramble, that sometimes people don't receive the advice in the way it was given. However, here is the post that I was referring to, where Pebbles' problem was chucked in my face:

QUOTE FROM A DOGSEY MEMBER ON A CM THREAD:

You don't think that's nasty and vile? Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one then. You think after that I'd ever ask for advice on here. Look at Pidge and some of the stick she has suffered for owning her particular breed. I honestly think it's shameful. Some advice is given to help and other advice is given to be nasty and judgmental I think that there are some sad people who get a kick out of being abrupt and careless in their approach. Perhaps we should pity them really, as they probably don't have happy lives, to be so bitter in the first place, maybe
I think CM threads become very heated as there are such extremes of opinions on them. I don't tend to venture onto them these days as I have a very low opinion of the man and so the threads wind me up. As for what was said to you...it is out of context, I would have to read around the quote to really see what was going on.

As for Pidge...she has been given advice that she has disagreed with and people have gone on to continue to offer the same advice.Some voice it in a harsher way than others, yes. I don't think they have sad lives, just busy perhaps. I know when I only have time to pop on my replies are much more abrupt than when I have time to sit and muse.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I think CM threads become very heated as there are such extremes of opinions on them. I don't tend to venture onto them these days as I have a very low opinion of the man and so the threads wind me up. As for what was said to you...it is out of context, I would have to read around the quote to really see what was going on.

As for Pidge...she has been given advice that she has disagreed with and people have gone on to continue to offer the same advice.Some voice it in a harsher way than others, yes. I don't think they have sad lives, just busy perhaps. I know when I only have time to pop on my replies are much more abrupt than when I have time to sit and muse.
But this particular person said I could not handle the breed of my beloved pet and I should consider re-homing him. That's not giving me advice, that's being mean and upsetting and not giving a hoot about how you're (not you of course) making that person feel. that is what CC is trying to say. Some people on here are deliberately harsh, some un-intentionally but either way it's harsh and shouldn't happen imo.

I also have no time for people who throw in quotes from different threads to attack a person. It's lame.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Again, I understand what you are saying but there is a difference between a rushed reply, where someone has limited time to say what they need to and a post that basically sets out to be unkind
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:23 PM
I think this is going to have to be an agree to disagree thread now.

Some people think some people on here are unnecessarily harsh, some don't. Not much more to say I guess.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
But this particular person said I could not handle the breed of my beloved pet and I should consider re-homing him. That's not giving me advice, that's being mean and upsetting and not giving a hoot about how you're (not you of course) making that person feel. that is what CC is trying to say. Some people on here are deliberately harsh, some un-intentionally but either way it's harsh and shouldn't happen imo.

I also have no time for people who throw in quotes from different threads to attack a person. It's lame.
Some people are harsh, I know Been there....but the majority on here are really lovely and helpful. People do get their hands slapped if they are overly harsh or obnoxious though.
I've been on here a while now and people who are rude and harsh don't tend to stay for too long. People so cotton onto it.

I do think there is a tendency for people to be too touchy at the moment though. Not sure why.

ETA just checked my thing and I've been on here 3 years...OMG...............
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Some people are harsh, I know Been there....but the majority on here are really lovely and helpful. People do get their hands slapped if they are overly harsh or obnoxious though.
I've been on here a while now and people who are rude and harsh don't tend to stay for too long. People so cotton onto it.

I do think there is a tendency for people to be too touchy at the moment though. Not sure why.
Only at the moment? I would say there is always a tendency to be touchy as a result of either one of all of the following:

1. Most of us are female.

2. We're more often than not talking about things we are passionate about and generally our pets.

3. Generally the questions we ask are of a delicate nature anyway and some people may be frightened and worried about what is happening.

4. A lot of us are new to this. To the forum and in some cases to pet ownership as a whole.

I think it would serve everyone on this forum to bear this in mind when responding in threads, I really do.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I think this is going to have to be an agree to disagree thread now.

Some people think some people on here are unnecessarily harsh, some don't. Not much more to say I guess.
I think you are right, Pidge. It will just end up getting like a CM thread otherwise, where you keep going round in circles and end up at the same place

There are those that think some members are harsh, whereas others see those same members as offering advice. Guess, we all see stuff differently, which makes us unique and wonderful I just think it's a pity that with so many knowledgable people, many of us are cautious to ask for help on doggy issues. Nevermind

I personally think the "ignore" list is a fab idea! I don't want to "listen" to certain members and what they have to say (there's only four on my ignore list, so not so bad on such a big forum) so putting them on ignore is ideal for me. To read what they have to say would probably lead me to engage in conversation with them I would never give these people the time of day in real life, so why bother on a forum
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Only at the moment? I would say there is always a tendency to be touchy as a result of either one of all of the following:

1. Most of us are female.

2. We're more often than not talking about things we are passionate about and generally our pets.

3. Generally the questions we ask are of a delicate nature anyway and some people may be frightened and worried about what is happening.

4. A lot of us are new to this. To the forum and in some cases to pet ownership as a whole.

I think it would serve everyoneon this forum to bear this in mind when responding in threads, I really do.
Whilst I see what you are saying, I would say that yes, lately there is a real sensitivity creeping in and I'm not sure why. As soon as anyone posts something someone doesn't agree with all hell breaks loose. People seem to be very touchy. There was a thread today where advice was asked for and offered...and becuase the OP didn't like some of the advice it got all horrid. It's really sad.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:38 PM
You know I have had 'discussions' on here with someone who then hounded one of our members across the internet. All VERY nasty...honestly, anything on here at the moment is mild in comparison. Truly. I still didn't put that person on ignore (not that they are on here now).
I have one person on ignore and that was a recent thing...which still saddens me to be honest.

I think threads like this at times can be helpful for everyone to look at how they put things across. Always good to look inwards once in a while.
Page 15 of 32 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »