Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 04:17 PM

Update on my hand reared pup!

My little man is now 2 weeks old and still quite bubbly, so today we took him to the vet for an MOT......I must confess I was worried sick, I thought she was going to tell me there was something seriously wrong with him.

She had a good look in his mouth for cleft pallett, that was fine, he screamed the place down!! She had a really good listen to his chest and back etc. looking really serious as she went, I had him written off by this time.

She then turned and said his chest is CLEAR!! the rattling/bubbly sound is actually congestion, he's a bit snotty!! So another 9 days of Synulox plus some Bisolvon granules (hopefully to unblock his nose) She said if he continues the way he's going he'll be as good as the rest at 8 weeks old!

His weight has gone from 255grm to 520grms, which is excellent! The vet also suggested I take him in the bathroom with me the steam will help widen his airways!

So all in all, a very good outcome........all I need to know now is, how do you teach a 2 week old pup to blow his nose??
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2005, 04:22 PM
thats great news CC all your hard work has paid off
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 04:23 PM
aw what excellent news i am so pleased for you and the pup, he has done so well! keep us updated with his progress!
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 04:39 PM
well done you.
Meg
Supervisor

19-05-2005, 04:41 PM
HI CC I missed out somewhere..I didn't realise you were hand rearing again well done you.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Well done CC, you do such a fab job with your babies
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Well done!! its hard work hand rearing
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Well done thats good news bless him.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
HI CC I missed out somewhere..I didn't realise you were hand rearing again well done you.

Just the one this time Minihaha, one little boy that went downhill very fast the first day, my THEN vet told me to leave him to one side and let him go He was rather bubbly when born, she told me to keep any eye on him, but refused to give him any medication. By the next day he was down 2.1/2oz not feeding, so I rang the vet (11.30pm) and asked for Synulox - Stud dog owner said to ask - vet said if I really wanted them to collect them from surgery the next day, as she didn't think another 10 hours would make much difference!!

Here we are 2 weeks on, we have a pup that has gone from 255grm to 520grm, I am hand rearing as he got very weak, plus we've now realised because he is so congested he couldn't 'smell' the milk from Jasmine, plus he couldn't breath when trying to feed from her.

We have now changed our vet, as this wasn't the first time she had told us to let pups die!!

So our little man is plodding along nicely, we just need to teach him to blow his nose, it might help with the congestion. It is just the one pup I'm hand rearing, 2 hourly feeds during the day, and from last night 4 hourly over night, so at least I'm getting a little sleep.

The joys of breeding!! But I wouldn't change it for the world and I certainly would NEVER give up on a pup I thought had a chance!
Meg
Supervisor

19-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Poor little chap bless him What you could try that will not hurt is a couple of drops of olbas oil in some boiling water put in the same room as the puppy for a few moments but not too near the puppy as their scent is so strong, it will help relieve the congestion ..only a couple of drops so it does not smell too strong for him
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >