View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey, I must just tell you guys, even though mine are from show lines, they spend as much time as possible out in the garden "birding" and catch at least one a week.

One year I kept opening the back door to find a dead pheasant laying there for me...I think we had about 6 in total over the weeks!

I've never taught them to do this and would really rather they didn't, but I just assume its built into them and its just their natural instinct. When I had Tawny the Pointer here it was amazing seeing how differently she reacted to the Setters when setting up their prey
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Since nobody else has done it, I will post one of the obvious!
Working English Cocker:

Show English Cocker:
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow! I've never seen a working cocker before! They're both lovely but I prefer the look of the working dog.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Could you imagen the amount of grooming it would take to clean all the debrie out of the show cockers coat after a days shooting in the rain , i tend to favour the working dogs over show dogs, but that dosen't mean i don't like show dogs, Grooming has let me see so many differences in lots of breeds, shapes,coats and drives
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
well gizmo is from working stock of labs

then you have sophie from the show lab.

Gizmo is taller and more slim line where sophie is smaller and more stocky.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Since nobody else has done it, I will post one of the obvious!
Working English Cocker:

Show English Cocker:
There is a working EC on one of my walks and I would never have know til the owner said. He is a stunning dog
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
I think it would be a challenge, but it could happen. I think it would require both sides to adjust their way of thinking slightly though, and I can't see that ever happening sadly
I am sorry Alice, but not one of the shepherds or farmers I know that have working collies doing a job of work day in and day out are the least bit interested in showing their dogs. It would mean nothing to them.

I think, if it were to happen, then it is more likely that some of the show folk may be interested to see whether their dogs still have any herding ability.

BTW both you and BenMc might be interested in this old thread if you haven't already seen it ...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=68963
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Exactly, that's what I meant, I can't see that compromising ever happening, because for many it wouldn't be practical. Wishful thinking But even if there were dogs doing both, I have a feeling they still would be looked down upon.

edit - Ooh, thanks Moobli, I'll have a look

edit edit - I did actually post in that thread, don't even remember writing it! Do you think it would be better for me to bump up that thread so that this thread doesn't become overun with BCs?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh this is a huge bugbear of mine with English Springer Spaniels being my breed!

Here's the website for the most well known Field Trial ESS kennel:
http://www.rytexgundogs.com/gallery.htm

And a pic:

And here's the current Show ESS breed record holder:

Truth be told I dislike both in equal measure! The show type is far too "showy" for my liking, exagerating the feathers too much, having eyes like Bloodhounds and generally lacking the ability to work a day in the field!

The working type, for me at least, look nothing like the traditional ESS and have far too much drive (hunting constantly, purely for huntings sake!).

Personally I want to go back to the original ESS, a dog that adhere's to the breed standard, can do a days work in the field without problems, but most importantly is a fantastic canine family member.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Cant believe the 1st pic of the setters such a huge difference.

Must say I prefer the working dogs than the show dogs always think they look unatural in the show ring.

I hate what they have done to the GSD in the show ring with the carp back wish we could go back to the straighter back.

And agree dont like seeing springers with droopy eyes like a bloodhound even though I do like bloodhounds.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >