Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 06:10 PM

Compost Bins

Need a bit of advice about my compost bin!

The council gave compost bins out a few years ago....when I moved here (2 years ago), the previous owners had already started using the bin, and I have been using it too.
Now...theres an opening at the bottom with a little 'door', am I right in saying I just open that and use the stuff from the bottom?
The thing is, how do you get the stuff from the back of the bin by using the door?!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Take no notice of the little door at bottom Heather-you'll never get it out with the weight ontop!

Best thing to do with any compost heap is get plenty of air inside it and keep turning the contents once a week.If the mixture is too wet,add shredded newspaper/cardboard or if its too dry-add water.You will know when the stuff is rotted down enough cause it will be dark,crumbly and sweetish smelling! A normal compost heap is usable after atleast 6 months,but may take upto a year depending on what you have put in.

whispers now... If you add human urine to compost once a week-this speeds up the whole process-im not joking!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks Steve.

So, do I have to stop adding things at some point, so I can use the compost?
Then use it all, and start the bin again?
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 07:39 PM
if you want the compost inside to rot down quicker use degrotter any garden centre sells it just sprinkle it on the top and put the lid back on it works into the compost and rots it down quicker i have 4 compost bins on the go
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I have two compost bins and I have never got any compost out of the little door. I occasionally open it a crack to let some air in but thats all I use it for. When the bin is full and the compost is ready I just lift off the whole bin, leaving the compost in a heap and shovel it from there. It's really hard to turn compost in those upright bins (especially when you're short like me) so I'm thinking about investing in one of those that you can turn with a handle, like a butter-churn.

PS I've heard that about the urine before but, being a lady, I've never quite worked out the mechanics of adding it (if you know what I mean)
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by minda

PS I've heard that about the urine before but, being a lady, I've never quite worked out the mechanics of adding it (if you know what I mean)
pee in an old jar inside loo then tip it on the heap outside to save an embarassing moments!

The butter churn style compost tumbers are apprently able to bring the whole process down to 6 weeks which is excellent!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by minda
When the bin is full and the compost is ready I just lift off the whole bin, leaving the compost in a heap and shovel it from there.

So when your bin gets full, you stop putting things in it, then wait until it's ready, use it, and start filling again?

Mine never seems to get full...it's near the top, but always rots down quickly, so theres always room.

Sorry, i'm not very good with gardening things...just starting out
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2006, 08:36 PM
I've got two bins so while one is rotting I'm filling the other one. The timing doesn't always work out but you can usually have some compost at most times of the year. I suppose if you're posh like Bluemerle Lover and you've got 4 bins it's much easier!

Steve, thanks for the tip! I was starting to imagine having to fit a flip-up seat on top of the compost bin, but I suppose the neighbours would have been a bit put out...they already think I'm a bit eccentric and that probably would have tipped the balance.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know if it's a good idea to add ashes from a bonfire to your compost bins? I hope it is because I've put 3 bucketfuls in today! I didn't think about it till afterwards but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm hoping there's nothing in the ash that will upset the delicate balance of my compost!