View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 01:19 PM

frequent vomiting /eaten chewing gum.....

One of my dogs has always liked to vomit!!! He'll vomit just because it's monday and then be absolutely fine!!! Over the last week or so though, he's been vomiting at least once a day, mainly the remnants of his evening meal from the previous day. It's quite yellow, but also seems to contain lumps of chewing gum....he is a stupid dog!!!! (Bless! Even the vets have mentioned it!!!!!) so is probably eating it when he's on a free run...do you think that could be what's making him vomit as much ( he's totally fine in himself and got a fantastic clean bill of health from the vet only last week, he's 10 and she said he'd pass for 5 easily!!!) It is only 1 or 2 a day, he is fine but as I say it is yellowy....any ideas?????
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:05 PM
i always thought the yellowy liquid is bile....
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
i always thought the yellowy liquid is bile....
yeah, me too.

Perhaps he's just yacking up the chewing gum because he can't digest it.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I know you said he's had a clean bill of health from the vet but I was just wondering, did he have a full blood panel and x-rays done?

The yellow stuff is probably bile, uusually when they just throw that up its because they havent eaten for a while....although there are other causes, sometimes when there is bile in with the food it can indicate IBD but to be honest Ive seen some dogs go through every test under the sun and a physical/medical cause is never found.

Some dogs, especially those that vomit first thing in the morning, sometimes it can be excitement/anxiousness...and then their fine for the rest of the day, this can happen whether or not they were fed the shortly before bedtime, some vets recommend a small meal an hour or so before they settle for the night, in some cases it helps but in others it doesnt.

You say its been more often recently, has there been any variant in regular diet? anything added to it (apart from the chewing gum)? Does he eat too fast? If thats the case then giving smaller meals a couple of times a day will sometimes help.

As for the chewing gum itself, its not something that Ive really come across before personally but I did some searching on the net, I would make sure the dog doesnt get it. Some chewing gum, has an artifical alcohol/sweetener ( xylitol) and it is toxic to pets, from what Ive read they need to ingest quite a lot of it before it can do any damage but if hes been eating it reguarly then it seems it could well be the cause of vomiting (just my opinion).

Ive had a couple of dogs that have had on and off vomiting so I know how you feel, the dog I have now does it in phases but I think most of hers is down to stress because shes just so scared of everything.....well that and if I dont let her previously refridgerated canned food warm to room temperature before giving it to her...shes as bad with drinking cold water as well, have to let it sit for about half an hour after I pour it in her bowl....I only figured all this out through a process of elimination and watching like a hawk..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Ailsa did the vet check the teeth and mouth thoroughly because sometimes older dogs have a tooth problem which prevents them chewing food properly so they bring back undigested food. Is he peeing and pooing ok?

How many meals a day are you feeding, again with older dogs they are better with a couple of small meals not a large one. Maybe think of changing the diet too, porridge in the morning is good with an egg mixed in occasionally.

I would be a little concerned that this is happening so frequently/over a period of time a would want further investigations if it continues.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi all and thanks so much for your responses, they do all make sense.
Flipper, it's really kind of you to do internet searches for me, what a star!!!!
He does still only have one meal a day and he does wolf it down. He loves his stomach and we have to watch his weight, he has a bit of winter 'padding' at the moment!!!!
I think the advice to try 2 meals a day is fantastic and we will try it from tomorrow.
His teeth are all brill Mini, nice and clean and again, the vet said some dogs half his age don't have such good teeth...
He used to ( in his younger days) vomit after exercise, the vet said it was because he hasn't got the sense to slow down when his body is crying out for it...but he doesn't do that anymore.
His vomit has always been yellow, I thought that was bile too, lately, it's had undigested food in it too ( and chewing gum.....)
He's also been known to vomit when nervous or upset... as I say, he's always been a vomit dog, it just seems to be happening more lately...
He's had no change in his food or routines ( other than one pup leaving and the arrival of a new one, but this started a couple of weeks after that) but he did have his annual booster........
think I'll try the 2 meal thing and watch him like a hawk.....thanks all!