View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Use an old pair of Karl's skivvies and cut a hole for Portia's tail.

How is Dudz coping?

x0x
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Good suggestion Vicki! Thanks all for the helpful input - all appreciated. She never goes offlead on walks anyway as being a Shiba, I'd be scared stiff she'd run off, her recall is not great and so I don't risk it. We watch her like a hawk!

Dudley's getting on fine with her now - nothing to report at all - doesn't seem to have noticed she's in season. Tell me, will a neutered dog pay much attention?

xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
Good suggestion Vicki! Thanks all for the helpful input - all appreciated. She never goes offlead on walks anyway as being a Shiba, I'd be scared stiff she'd run off, her recall is not great and so I don't risk it. We watch her like a hawk!

Dudley's getting on fine with her now - nothing to report at all - doesn't seem to have noticed she's in season. Tell me, will a neutered dog pay much attention?

xx
My neutered male only paid attention when my girls were at their 'prime' -- ovulating time at 2 week or so. Other then that he wasn't interested.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Len has never completely lost interest........ however, as both mine have had the op, theres not much chance of him even meeting an in-season bitch any more.

Dudz may get interested during the peak time, but he may not notice anything at all.......bless, "blokes" are such plonkers at times

Mad Huskies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I have tried both the bitch pants and the boys boxers idea (with a stick on pad inside for cleanliness) for my girls first season, she had a very heavy flow so no matter how she cleaned she still dripped. the bitch pants were from P@H and worked a treat or childrens boxers work the best for that as the waist band in mens is too big for my little girl and the boxers with the buttons are the best as the hole is just right for her tail to go through if put on back to front!
Any other dog, male or female, neutered or not can and might notice shes in heat and react accordingly. Other bitches might get a little more agressive with her as the hormones can make her crabby and males fixed or not may try their luck! My girl was very disinterested tho and when males tried if I didnt get them off quick she would just sit down and scoot away on her bum! Hylarious!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Raven is in her second week now. I have a pair of the doggy sanitary garments which I am wearing on her when we go out. Her dog guide school wants the puppies intact when they return after a year in order to select the very best as breeding stock. Since we have done many females, it was worth buying a sanitary garment. I have known people that used children's training pants with the tail coming out the fly. I am not sure it is worth buying special pants for just one season.

At home, I leave them off, confining Raven to the one room with the hardwood floor and washable dog beds as I do each year housebreaking a new puppy. In another couple of weeks, everything will go in the washer.

Many females develop behavior problems. If anything, Raven is even quieter than usual. I will no let that lull me into dropping my guard as she comes into her fertile period. I will still be alert for unusual attempts to dart out the door. I have also heard of dogs managing to mate through a fence. Don't discount the possibility of anything. Be very careful. We have never had any problems with the many puppies we have used the garments on, nor have all our friends doing the same. It isn't unusual at all for somebody to bring a female in pants to one of our monthly training sessions.

So far, our 8 year old neutered male Lab, Sampson, isn't paying her any more attention than usual. We are skipping 4-H obedience lessons, not wanting to disrupt things. Other than that, we are still taking her out to most of the places we always do. I think we will skip the big fund raiser walk this Saturday open to the public.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:05 PM
I`ve never used drawers on a bitch. Mine have always tidied themselves up, and I put old towels in their beds.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2