Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Help with dog picking at food / not eating properly please

Hi all,
Last time I posted was in relation to my GSD/Border Collie Lucy who became a recluse and ultimately crossed Rainbow Bridge a month ago. Now the problem is Flissie my 14 year old Border Collie. All the while we had Lucy there was almost a race to finish a meal (which Lucy usually won) now Flissie has virtually stopped eating, is it possible she has started to pine? She will pick at her food, then walk away, but they weren't exactly bosum buddies, they kept their own space (and we only had Lucy's company for 10 months). I sit on the floor hand-feeding her which gets some nutrition into her, but surely this isn't the answer? Has anyone else any experience of this please?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 04:41 PM
poor you, you're having a bit of a time of it aren't you just now

Dogs can and do pine for companions, but I would've expected this to be over after a month.

The timing could just be coincidence - have you had her checked over by the vet - it could be a problem with her teeth (hopefully nothing more serious).

Once you know its not a health issue, you can decide what to do. For most dogs I'd say just take the food away and offer it again at the next meal if she hasn't eaten it, but I've always been softer with the oldies.

My old boy was a picky eater - but he would have days when he would east quite well and days when he wouldn't. Once I got used to this, I didn't worry if he didn't eat properly for 2 or 3 days because I knew he'd catch up. As a consequence, I stopped hand feeding him/giving him extra special food.

He also always got enthusiastic for his dinner just before a walk - again normally I wouldn't allow that, but as he was no longer very active on his walks, I let him get away with that too.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanx Hali,
She did have a prob with her teeth about 4 months ago and anti-biotics cleared it up. She will eat her biscuits and chews and extras from the table, but when her food it is offered in her normal bowl with mixer which she has always eaten, then it is ignored. She has totally refused her evening meal again and is looking to see if anything is forthcoming from our dinner (which it won't be!)
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi,

We have been experiencing similar problems with our gsd/collie x too. About 2 months ago our springer crossed the rainbow bridge and they had been together for 5 years. Molly lost all interest in food not bothering to eat at all. It was like as there is no longer competition she couldn't be bothered. I tried picking up the food but she didn't care and the daily raids of the cat food that they used to do together have stopped altogether. We have ended up mixing in some tasty pouches of dog food with her normal dry and she has begun to eat again. I am hoping that we will be able to wean her off the pouches and back to normal food soon but it is such a worry when they just refuse to eat.

Hope you have some success soon xx
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree with a vet visit. Ask about weight too. It is possible without Lucy, her activity has declined and her food needs. You may need to cut back a little.
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi,

What a worry for you. My BMD stopped eating as a result of anxiety - I wont go into the details as they are totally different from what has probably upset your dog. If she's not vomiting or suffering from diahorrea, and she will eat your food and/or treats, it sounds very much anxiety related. I started giving my dog anything, treats, my food etc, just so he was eating something which he would eat contentedly.

He is still very fussy and wont eat his food if I am not in the house, I used to feed my dog in the morning and evening but Ive found not offering him anything all day and then feeding him after tea, when he's been exercised and is more relaxed of an evening as he knows he will have company all night he actually finishes his meals.

He started to get really thin but is putting weight back on now, maybe try this and see how she goes?

Good luck xx
sherylfox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 08:36 AM
aww bless ya i had an old collie who did the same when my other passed, so i got a collie puppy a new friend somebody to play with and to do collie things with like dig up the plants and raid the cat food.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Hi,

We have been experiencing similar problems with our gsd/collie x too. About 2 months ago our springer crossed the rainbow bridge and they had been together for 5 years. Molly lost all interest in food not bothering to eat at all. It was like as there is no longer competition she couldn't be bothered. I tried picking up the food but she didn't care and the daily raids of the cat food that they used to do together have stopped altogether. We have ended up mixing in some tasty pouches of dog food with her normal dry and she has begun to eat again. I am hoping that we will be able to wean her off the pouches and back to normal food soon but it is such a worry when they just refuse to eat.

Hope you have some success soon xx
Thanx Aliwin, your experience is exactly what I am going through. I had a small success this morning as Flissie ate half a pouch of Tesco Meat in Jelly, some dried cat food and half her mixer biscuits. As you say the competition is no longer there but I would have expected these problems to start the day Lucy went, not 4 weeks after. However, each day I'm going to have to wait and see, what she eats and what she leaves, at least the seagulls are getting well fed at the moment! It's so frustrating when she walks away from Butchers and Pedigree Chum, which she has always liked, but will keep fingers xed.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanx to all of you who have offered advice and suggestions. It is comforting to know of other people who have gone through similar experiences which is why I value belonging to your forum. Flissie seems bright enough in herself and she still weighs in at 23 Kg (which is know is overweight) but she has never been an "active" collie. She originally came from a puppy farm in Wales, and had a litter of pups before she was 18 months old. I rescued her from the family she lived with and have had her ever since. She has never played with a ball, or squeaky toy, she doesn't know how to, although I have tried on many occasions to involve her in a game. She is so laid back she is virtually horizontal, and certainly not your typical border collie. I'm going to go out now and get some more food pouches and try and encourage her back to her normal self.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by tedsui View Post
Thanx Aliwin, your experience is exactly what I am going through. I had a small success this morning as Flissie ate half a pouch of Tesco Meat in Jelly, some dried cat food and half her mixer biscuits. As you say the competition is no longer there but I would have expected these problems to start the day Lucy went, not 4 weeks after. However, each day I'm going to have to wait and see, what she eats and what she leaves, at least the seagulls are getting well fed at the moment! It's so frustrating when she walks away from Butchers and Pedigree Chum, which she has always liked, but will keep fingers xed.
Hi, the problems started after a week with Molly. It seemed to be when it had sunk in that he was really not coming back! We are only up to a handful of biscuits and half a pouch twice a day now. Molly is 28kg and the right weight for her. I think we are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel as she went on her first cat food raid this morning I think it just takes patience, I really didn't imagine dogs could suffer from this level of "grief"!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >