Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 04:48 PM

I am outraged!

Went to the Dogs Dinner show at Chatlerhault Park near Hamilton today. Lovely day up until it was spoiled by the Scruffts classes. Not because we didn't qualify but because there were several obvious full pedigrees in the classes who were placed! Can you believe it?

An ESS (complete with the docked tail, might I add), a Miniature Smooth Haired Dachshund and a Whippet. All obviously pedigrees. The woman with the Whippet had another dog, almost identical to the one that was placed in Scruffts, in the breed classes and one a 1st place and was therefore in the BIS line-up! The only difference was a slight difference in markings, but that was it, everything else was indentical. I know she shows them both as I've seen her at other shows. Now, I know some crossbreeds can look very similar to their crossed breeds, but these were obviously pedigrees!

The ESS was in, I think, the Childs Best Friend class and I told the organisers how disgusted I was and that the dog was obviously a pedigree. The reply? "Yes, but it's child handler", I said "Aye, with a crossbreed dog, not a pedigree!" Surely the organisers should know this? Dear god. The title of the competition "Family Crossbreed Of The Year" should give it away!

Then there was a traditional black and white BC that was placed, I'm almost sure it was, in fact, a BC! Possibly would've been a cross but it definitely looked 100% BC to me!

Then, in the Childs Best Friend class, there was an older woman in the class with her dog!

The Scruffts judge was a local footballer along with his WAG! He obviously doesn't even know the difference between a crossbreed and a pedigree and therefore shouldn't have been judging, imo.

My friend was also told her Sheltie was Sporting and not Non-Sporting. She confirmed to them she was Non-Sporting.

I despair at times, I really do. I will be giving the KC a piece of my mind about this today, it really makes a mockery of the whole Scruffts competition. They even anounced it as Crufts!

Rant over, for now.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
The one and only time I took my dogs in a show (apart from a village fete fun thing) was at a show in Surrey where there was a `proper` show and also fun classes. The people who entered the pedigree classes also entered the fun classes (most handsome dog etc) . I heard one of them say - well it`s a rosette at least! The judge also took a Pedigree class. The showing people all knew each other and sneered at the rest of us. Guess who won?
Never again.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
is it because they didnt have papers?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Takes the fun out of 'fun dog show' doesn't it? I've entered Loki in a few of these. Once he came second to a Husky that was lunging and snapping at the judge! Sure it was a pretty dog, but shouldn't it be about temperament also?
Never entered a show where any judge knew Loki's breed. You would think that they would make the effort to know these things. Last show we did, the winner was an overweight Lhasa Apso with a dummy in it's mouth (owner was on first name terms with the mayoress, judging). I would like to do these fun classes, but they seem to be run by people who don't know about dogs.

And yes, I too have seen full pedigrees in crossbreed classes. Even labs and cockers - very recognisable breeds, I would think...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Aww, I do think that isn't very sporting of people to enter a pedigree into what is supposed to be specifically a cross-breed show! I certainly wouldn't do that.

I like going to exemption/fun shows as well as Open Shows and I do try and enter as many classes as possible as funds usually are given towards charities.

I'm sorry to hear that people sneered at you at the show you attended in Surrey C&D . That's an appalling attitude to have - I just go to have fun and be surrounded by lots of nice dogs and like-minded people. Shame these people spoiled it for you, why not try another? I am sure you'd enjoy the day out.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm sure we've had this conversation before . If I do a companion show I always enter the fun classes as well as there a lot less serious and we enjoy them more. Also i use them as practise for the pups.
Just a thought was the springer a working English if it was it shouldnt be in the pedigree classes as it wont have full KC papers.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I gave up.... I entered Selkie in a prettiest bitch competition at a 'fun event' and was heckled by an irrate lurcher owner because Selkie was clearly a pedigree and should have gone in the pedigree show the next week!... She's not KC registered, but I suppose she is a pure Samoyed, I had and have no intention of showing any of my dogs.. I had entered actually just for fun because we happened to be there and I think Selkie is the prettiest dog in the world. Put me off ever entering these things again.

There is a cliquey thing at all these shows, fun or not. I've stopped going to any of them. Which is a shame. You'd think more of the organisers and the dog show people would want more people to go, but mostly they seem to hate new people at any of the events... At a pedigree show (while I still went to these things) I overheard one lady say to her friend after a pretty little spaniel had won one class that it was "a disgrace, she doesn't even breed her dogs, so what's the point of winning anything, she's just taking up rosettes that would be better on 'proper' dogs".

Its another case of a few evil people ruining it for the rest I'm afraid. Before dogsey I was beginning to think all pedigree dog owners and show people were evil, but I will admit that there seem to be a few nice ones here, so there must be hope.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Hold up all, I'm talking about Scruffts! It's for crossbreeds/mongrels only! I'm not talking about proper show dogs entering a Companion show!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I've judges a couple of companion shows and I must admit sometimes its harder and more competative than open shows. I judges prettiest bitch at one and had to send a castrated dog out
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Slightly off topic, but as Magpye said, some show people are really snotty about other people's dogs. I overheard a lady at crufts referring to someone else's Leonberger as 'a piece of sh*t', because said dog had won a class that she obviously thought her dog deserved to win!
I am a competative person, but there's no need to slag off other people and their dogs at shows! They're supposed to be fun (even the Pedigree classes)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »