Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Kidney Failure in 2 yr old JRT X

On Thursday we were told that our 2 year old JRT has chronic kidney failure.

The vet took a biopsy from one of his kidneys as both of them have cysts and we'd like to know what these actually are.

Anyhow, over the weekend I've been trawling various sites and forums and have learned quite a bit about the condition, what to expect etc. etc. but I'm really confused about feeding.

I don't normally have problems understanding English, maybe it's because my head is still spinning from shock. But has anyone on this site had this problem? I feed a raw diet to all my dogs, Floyd (the terrier) is quite partial to it too I must add. I have some tinned food from the vet until I can work out what I can and shouldn't give him. I'd rather keep him on raw if truth be told, but if it's too complicated then I'll give him the commercial stuff. He likes that too.

Not sure what I'll get from this post, just in a complete and utter daze still, one minute I think I understand everything and the next, nothing's sunk in.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I went to a raw feeding seminar Saturday and Kidney diet was mentoned.

Nick (Thompson) said to consider the following:

Maintain protein intake
Think about how much beef you feed for erythropoetin
Increase fat intake, preferably olive oil and ensure FBO is given
B complex vitamin/Brewers Yeast to replace lost B vitamins excreted
Vitamins A, C and E
Use Ipakitine this absorbs urea in the blood into stools
schizandra herb

Have you looked at B Naturals and Dogaware sites?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry my dog had kidney failure too.

I recall green tripe being considered a bit of a super food for dogs with kidney disease.
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I went to a raw feeding seminar Saturday and Kidney diet was mentoned.

Nick (Thompson) said to consider the following:

Maintain protein intake
Think about how much beef you feed for erythropoetin
Increase fat intake, preferably olive oil and ensure FBO is given
B complex vitamin/Brewers Yeast to replace lost B vitamins excreted
Vitamins A, C and E
Use Ipakitine this absorbs urea in the blood into stools
schizandra herb

Have you looked at B Naturals and Dogaware sites?

Thanks for that info. I have looked at the B Naturals & Dogware sites, but at the moment as I've said, not a lot is sinking in 100%. I shall have another look a little later on and see if I can retain information or questions at least.

Thanks again!
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post

I recall green tripe being considered a bit of a super food for dogs with kidney disease.

Sorry to hear your dog had kidney failure too. It's a bit of a shocker isn't it to say the least. I'm wandering around like a bag lady with no-where to go at the moment.

It's good to know about the green tripe though as that is already one of his favourites and he's not got tired of in this past year! Long may it last. Again, sorry to hear about your dog though.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post

When i suggested that to my vet he was shocked & said under no circumstances were we to feed tripe to Katie as it was very high in protein
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by tansox View Post
Thanks for that info. I have looked at the B Naturals & Dogware sites, but at the moment as I've said, not a lot is sinking in 100%. I shall have another look a little later on and see if I can retain information or questions at least.

Thanks again!
Sorry to hear about your dog. One of ours is in renal failure. We get good & bad days. Has your vet suggested a phosphate binder yet? Katie's has helped her although she cant tokerate the full dose. She eats tinned Hills K/D diet.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
When i suggested that to my vet he was shocked & said under no circumstances were we to feed tripe to Katie as it was very high in protein
When I was researching what to feed Moon, the school of thought seemed to be moving towards a change that rather than avoiding high protein, feeding a quality source of protein and a low phosphate diet was the way to go. It seemed that the phosphate levels had more effect than protein, the effects of protein actually seemed a bit wooly (in my limited research!). I remember reading that green tripe is very low in phosphates. And Moon had stopped eating, but would sometimes still eat that, and as you know it's important to keep kidney dogs eating regularly. My vet was feeding raw green tripe to Moon over the two weeks that he was hospitalised. I guess it depends on what school of though the vet sits in regards to protein. I am far from an expert. I'm sure you know far more about this though VB, as you and Katie have been dealing with this for a long time. My experience was very brief

Tansox, how are you and you dog today? VB's right, a phosphate binder on the food is important. Also eating regularly is a must. x
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Well, Floyd's doing well atm. He's still running about and chasing his ball. The day that stops will be a very sad day indeed.

Anyway, I made an appointment with our vet yesterday to talk over the feeding, and ask questions etc. I've made the decision to stick to the tinned food from the vets. I'm just not qualified enough to make these decisions and they're too important, it might have an adverse affect if I don't get it right. At least on tinned food I know he's getting everything he should. Our vet did say that once he gets tired of tinned stuff (the renal type) then we can give him anything as long as he eats.

I also asked the vet "how long"? I know it's gruesome, but I need to know, but she couldn't give me a time. So again we're not sure whether we have months together or years. Every dog is different.

The results of the biopsy came back yesterday and show nothing sinister, so that's one bit of good news I suppose.

Moons Mum and Velvet Boxers, I'm sorry to be raking up these obviously painful memories for you both, I truly am.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >