Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 08:52 PM

How bad do I feel?? Anal glands and intolerances

Been to the vets for a visit today to get T used to being handled and I took Eddy in to look at his 'old man wart' on his leg.

Turns out his nasty breath is down to seriously blocked anal glands How bad do I feel? They've been bad for a while by the looks of things - and he was SO good when she cleared them out - gave a little cry but really behaved himself.

He's also been diagnosed with dietary intolerances (most likely) so he's no longer allowed his little bits of cheese, yoghurt pots, gravy on his biscuits, left over stew etc. etc...

He's got to stick to kibble and hard biscuits with the odd bit of dense wholemeal bread as a treat.

And that means Takara's got to give up her little luxuries too because it's not fair for her to get them and not Eddy!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Lotty it's always worth checking anal glands if a dog has bad breath,we can't aways remember everything though can we .

I bet Eddy feels better now you have found the problem, so much so he probably won't even notice the little luxuries have gone
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Don't feel bad, it isn't the first thing you'd think of when looking for causes of bad breath is it?

Least he's sorted now - awww poor Eddy, no more titbits and yoghurt (Marius would be howling with indignation!! )

He must feel better after that mind - Mini's right he will feel like a new man!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't feel bad. Only a few weeks ago Star had an anal gland abscess without any sign of anything wrong til it burst.

Hope Eddy is feeling better and I am sure he will get used to his new diet
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Poor Eddy (and poor T too!)
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys...

I cannot believe how much they must have been bothering him

He's a lot more perky (but then aren't many of us when a woman squeezes our bum? )
Even his mobility seems to have improved, he's jumped up ready for his walks rather than sitting in bed as though he doesn't want to go and has dragged me on his flexi around the park!

In fact, I'm kind of wondering if he's now a bit too energetic!

I think the one thing they'll really miss is the yoghurt pots - they always get yoghurt pots after we've had them and the trays from microwave meals
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

I think the one thing they'll really miss is the yoghurt pots - they always get yoghurt pots after we've had them and the trays from microwave meals
Naughty!!!!!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Dont feel bad hun, Im taking Willow tonight because she has bad breath and has been shuffling on her bum for a while...I think it may be the same thing...xxx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I never knew bad breath could be a sign of blocked anal glands - you learn something new every day.
meg's_mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Not many owners do associate their dogs bad breath with their behind. Well come on they are at completely different ends dont feel bad hun
xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >