register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you wrestle with your dog?
yes with rules 22 35.48%
yes without rules 1 1.61%
yes with some of my dogs but not with others 10 16.13%
no not with any of my dogs 29 46.77%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2012, 09:11 PM
funny you should say that, i can't play tug with either of my dogs or i'd get hurt but wrestling with poppy is fine
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Only if there's a toy involed If I get down to Rogan's level, he's more interested in licking me and getting hugs than wrestling.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Not much any more as she's getting old so can't, i really miss having our fights - it was ssssoooo fun.

I didn't have any rules for our fights as we both went for the kill (not literally - just to win). If she got her mouth around my arm or something and i let her she'd just gently mouth my arm again and then start licking it - she has hurt me on purpose.
She's hurt me a couple of times by getting a little rough and i just squeal and we carry on.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
it's quite interesting that almost 50% of us wrestle with at least one of our dogs. the amount of times i've mentioned to other doggy people that i wrestle with poppy & they given me a lecture about how dangerous that is amazes me, i suspected i were among a very few that wrestles with dogs but seems theirs quite a lot of us who do it

i've just had a wrestle with poppy this morning. she managed to slobber all over my hands & arms but only damage she did was a small scratch from her claws. i know she could do a lot of damage with her teeth if she wanted but i'm far more afraid of her claws because she doesn't mean to hurt with her claws but she can hurt so easily with them
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Kismet loves a wrestle... We started the game because I felt bad for her as a puppy. Both other dogs in the house were over 11 and would tell her off if she tried to play with them so she had no one she could rough and tumble with. We have rules with Kismet.. She makes a hell of a noise and is only allowed to use an open mouth, no biting...

This does and has caused problems however...

She will play wrestle with anyone who seems up for it and is sat on the floor... she initiates it by bouncing up and grrrrwwoooing into the intended playmates face... This looks exactly like she is attacking you if you a. dont know her b. dont spot her furiously windmilling tail or are c. scared of dogs. She also will try and play wrestle with my friend's 8 yr old and thats a no, So if the two of them get excited enough that wrestle looks like Kismet's next game choice, they have to have a time out and sit apart until they have both calmed down :/

Pharaoh does not and never has played wrestle with anything... Its just not a lurcher game. Selkie the Samoyed and I used to wrestle when she was young enough though. But as she got older and more fragile that had to stop
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Its a definite resounding NO from here.

I have a pack so don't encourage it as Im sure they would (if they got used to it) all want to join in.

I don't play tug either and don't allow it, we foster children and they need to understand too that the dogs do not get into an excited state where someone can get hurt (ie scratched with claws etc.,)

Its a personal choice of mine though so what others do with their dogs Im ok with, but due to my job I like my lot to be steady, calm and stable in situations when kids kick off (which we have had on a high state of emotional level) so I don't want the dogs thinking....yayyyyyy exciting lets all go in they need to be able to listen to me and remove themselves from the room onto their bed.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I do with Dougal, he loves it, but if he gets too rough he gets a stern finger-shaking (no) and backs off. He prefers zoomies though, we just have to stomp our feet and he's off up and down the living room wuffing at us if he stops

I was hand-wrestling with the tiny terror Fudge at the weekend, only need a hand for him cause he's so ickle, he thinks you are trying to catch his tongue so he hangs onto your arm battering it with his tiny little paws. Can't tell you how cute it is being 'battered' by a Chiwawa
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Mollie likes a gentle wrestle and is very gentle herself so it's quite safe to indulge her. Duncan gets scared and therefore much rougher with teeth etc, so we never do it with him.
Zaff
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes I do with my Lab. She has never as much as left the slightest mark and is very gentle with me.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
nope! will play a tuggy game but don't wrestle
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >