Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Ulcerative Colitis

Eddie the Beagle is 5 years old, and has been passing flecks of blood in his motions for almost 3 months now. We have tried a sensitive complete diet (he won't eat raw), yoghurt, and slippery elm, along with a month's course of prednisolone, with no improvement. Our vet then did a colonoscopy, which showed two areas of low grade ulcerative colitis, and she prescribed a month's course of Flagyl, with FortiFlora to repopulate his gut. If anything, Eddie has had fewer clear days since this procedure, and we are due to report back at the vet this weekend.

This week I have also tried excluding wheat and tinned food from his diet, but again, there does not seem to be any improvement. The vet says that it can be an auto immune condition in which case, changing his diet won't help. The little chap doesn't know he is ill, and is as lively and happy as ever, but I have been told that dogs which do not respond to treatment are liable to develop cancer in later life. Does anyone have any experience of this condition, and if so, did you find anything that helped?

Here's hoping, Carole and Eddie.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2013, 06:52 AM
What food do you feed him?

I know this sounds weird but I was so desperate with one of my dogs that I learnt to dowse but not in the usual way. I always tell owners to use what I get as a start but it has never been wrong. I have a dog who is prone to colitis but it is rare she has it now.

I will do this for any dog that needs help, if you want me to let me have a list of foods and a photo of your dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Both ours have it. In our cases it is finding a food that suits. Most of the Salmon & Potato diets are suitable. You need to be very strict treat wise. Almost better to use some of the dogs food as treats so as not to aggravate condition

Feeding little & often is good as it gives the system less to work on at any given time

We have always found soaking dry kibble also helpful.

Tinned food - fishy Chappie ok for some but not for others. In a days ration only add between several feeds a quarter of a tin throughout the day. We had one Boxer it didnt agree with.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Thank you for responding. Hmmm, I think unorthodox is the word! Also, not sure how I'd send a photo. He is currently on Harringtons Turkey/Veg with boiled rabbit or Wainwrights Duck & rice added for interest. His training treats are human grade ham, chicken or cheese. Pocket treats are rice based either chicken or lamb kibble.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Both ours have it. In our cases it is finding a food that suits. Most of the Salmon & Potato diets are suitable. You need to be very strict treat wise. Almost better to use some of the dogs food as treats so as not to aggravate condition

Feeding little & often is good as it gives the system less to work on at any given time

We have always found soaking dry kibble also helpful.

Tinned food - fishy Chappie ok for some but not for others. In a days ration only add between several feeds a quarter of a tin throughout the day. We had one Boxer it didnt agree with.
This is the approach I'm using, but I'm leaving out fish altogether at the moment it makes it easier to isolate any suspect food items. However, if it is an auto-immune problem, his feeding regime may not be significant. His current diet is in the reply I have given to Mattie. Thank you so much for your suggestions, and good luck with your two.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 03:56 PM
My late Benny had this, we did all the usual foodie things but it turned out to be emotionally driven. Best we could do for him was keep to strict routines and never let him worry or be nervous about things. He had a few set backs over the years but a settled routine kept it mostly in check.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry have no experience Just wanted to wish Eddie well,hope you can get it sorted((hugs)))
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I have no experience with UC in dogs, but I'm an expert with humans with this condition. It is now classed as an auto-immune disease. My brother has had it for 37 years. My brother has aloe vera gel every day to drink .... but I have no idea what that would do to a dog.
I know my bros is on a drug that is given to transplant patients to try and stop his body from rejecting his colon and bowel. I wish little Eddie well and hopefully you'll find a medication that will put it in remission.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shaggy2 View Post
I have no experience with UC in dogs, but I'm an expert with humans with this condition. It is now classed as an auto-immune disease. My brother has had it for 37 years. My brother has aloe vera gel every day to drink .... but I have no idea what that would do to a dog.
I know my bros is on a drug that is given to transplant patients to try and stop his body from rejecting his colon and bowel. I wish little Eddie well and hopefully you'll find a medication that will put it in remission.
Thank you. I have added Aloe Vera gel to my long list of questions for the vet.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Something I have been looking at recently for my boyfs post gastro bug tummy is Kefir

its effectively a probiotic which is reported to be very successful in humans (the supplier i have looked at has IBS and crohns)

Definitely worth a google and you can take a view?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >