Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Animal control...

Decided to take puppy out to the park on ANOTHER rainy, ugly day. The weather has been horrible and Jade gets in such a mood when it's rainy and it becomes a nightmare.

While there, I spotted a dog in a cage down in the woods near a tree. At first I thought some horrid person had just dropped the dog off in a crate, but upon closer inspection... it was animal controls doing.

They set these traps to catch stray dogs that are reported to them sometimes. They put a can of food (A Cesar tray in this case) at the back and when the dog walks in to eat it, it snaps shut and locks the dog in.

They then come back at some later time and retrieve the dog, or empty cage if nothing is there. The dog was skinny and malnourished, but was sooooo sweet. It was already starting to rain. I felt so sorry for it.

Animal control could have at least draped a tarp or something over the cage... poor thing. The cages are so small and cramped. They also come in only one size... so imagine how bad it is when a large dog gets caught in one.

The dog had a collar on. This dog was also calm, as if it was used to a crate or something. He/she was obviously a lost pet animal, and not a feral or just random stray.

Many feral dogs go berserk in these small cages, injuring themselves badly trying to buck and claw and tooth their way out.

I called them once I got home and told them that there was a dog in the cage... but they kind of blew me off with "An officer will get the trap as soon as they can".

With the rain and the weather, I know that they will NOT come anytime soon to get the trap. It'll probably be tomorrow. So sad. It's raining and he's hungry so it's sad.

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Myra, I'm really lost words watching that:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Myra, I'm really lost words watching that:
I called again, no answer. I looked up the hours and I see why she was so nonchalant. It's past closing hours. There is now nobody to even answer the phones.

There's nobody at their facility. I want to know WHY they put the cage there if nobody was going to get it? The dog will have to be there all night! In the storm!!

It's mean, it really is. I have the video and I might be able to use it somehow. It's not right to trap the dog and then leave it like that. I feel so bad for it.

My mom was rushing me because it has started to rain so I had to go or she'd leave me... but I wanted to do something so badly. It was so sad, the dog looked like such a sweet dog.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 09:55 PM
You could hear it in your voice, how upset you were Poor wee dog wasn't even making a fuss, wasn't even barking,so sad.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 10:31 PM
What a sweet looking little one!

Its not fair to be left out exposed in the rain like that (if she is, of course), but I'd wager its better than being poisoned, shot or run over
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
You could hear it in your voice, how upset you were Poor wee dog wasn't even making a fuss, wasn't even barking,so sad.
My bleeping mom was rushing me, though I was in no hurry to go... which irritated me even more. I'm going to go in the morning and check to see if they've gotten the dog.

If not, me and my mother are going to try hoisting the whole cage into the car if we have to. From what I gather, ordinary citizens cannot release that cage's mechanism. It needs food and water, so they can't leave it like that for long.

Nigredo was confused too.. like "Mom, why is it in here?" It growled a bit at first.. but quickly warmed up to me. It was such a sweet dog... so sad it had to end up like that. Cocker spaniel mix or something looked like.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-07-2013, 05:52 AM
That is very sad all well and good if they monitor the cage and keep checking then release the dogs into some kind of custody when caught but to keep them in there overnight unattended is cruel.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2013, 07:17 AM
So sad. Such a sweet looking dog! Surely if they set a trap they have a duty to check it at least once a day. I suppose they are over worked and under paid like they are over here, but they could at least cover the crate so the dog has some chance if shelter.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I doubt if u stray dog would go in a covered trap,
It would stand out to much I would imagine,
I know it's not ideal over night in a trap but its better than running free with roads ect
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
I doubt if u stray dog would go in a covered trap,
It would stand out to much I would imagine,
I know it's not ideal over night in a trap but its better than running free with roads ect
I think it will. Those dogs are starving and will go anywhere to get that food. He'd have been much, much happier had they not left him in the rain.

I was going to go look for the poor dog, but mother won't take me as she's in a bad, bad mood this morning. The park is 3 miles away and borders along a busy road, walking isn't going to be easy but I might.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >