View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Well our training was put to the test last night when I noticed him pick something up out of the grass. I simply asked "what you got?" which has basically become a cue for bring me whatever you have in your mouth and I'll give you something nice. I took half a Mars Bar off him last night without any fuss at all. At home it's almost always safe things he's got so he gets them back as well as a yummy reward. Last night he got a few dog treats in exchange for his chocolate coz that's all I had on me
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sorry to "snip" but do you use a kind of swapping system or anything, and does he get his chew back? It's just that growling may sometimes escalate into further warnings such as air snaps, then actual snaps or bites.

A lot of peeps will practice taking things away, but don't always ensure that the dog is comfortable with doing so - and this can sometimes mean that the dog starts to get more, rather than less, comfortable around people at the time of having a chew ... and may take things further when it is least expected...

Hope you don't mind me saying this . It's just that from what you describe, you are making him growl but not really helping him associate humans near his food with good things.

Wys
x
Yes he does get his chew back and lots of praise. I don't mind you saying it at all
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If I came up to you and grabbed your box of chocolates then shouted at you when you protested.... would that be teaching you to share or would it be storing up resentment for later?
That is the danger with intimidating dogs into giving up their prized posessions - it can backfire badly.
Why not play swapsies with your dog? And teach your son the game as well?
I know what you're saying...but this a dog who we were warned about his really bad food aggressiveness. He now eats with the others and will allow me to take a chew from him, albeit with a growl. When we first got him, he tried to bite my hand, now he doesn't. He always gets the chew back and lots of praise and he's getting better. It just works for him but I'm not suggesting every dog is the same.
As for teaching my son to play swapsies with him, I'm not sure about that. The problem with Ethan is that he will go up to any dog and try to do the same. He thinks all dogs are like ours and cannot comprehend the dangers of going up to an unknown dog. So I have to tell him not to take chews off our dogs. This is just in case I turn my back for one second and he grabs their chew.

PS I would do my nut if someone nicked my choccies but the difference is I wouldn't bite them!! LOL!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Yes he does get his chew back and lots of praise. I don't mind you saying it at all
Thanks,

Wys
x
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3