Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Border Collie possible liver diease???

I have no knowldge at all of liver disease, just what i've googled...

Our BC (10 next month) wasn't particularly well bred and has suffered ome health problems...prostate enlargement last year and a stroke when he was 7.
Anyway, we took him to the vet for his MOT a couple of weeks ago and told her we were concerned he was uncomfortable when he lies down and occassionally circles loads prior to pooing and then doesn't poo, as if it hurts. Suffice to say on that front, we were concerned his prostate problems were returning, but she said no he has mild arthritis in his hips. She wanted to give him meds but first wanted to do a blood test as we also mentioned that he drinks a lot and pees a lot...so she also wanted to do a urine test to check how dilute his urine is.
Anyhow...his results are back and a couple of his liver results on his bloods are slightly out. His urine (which was an early morning sample...1st or 2nd wee) was dilute indicating he is drinking...a LOT! She wants to do another blood test...one fasting then another 2 hours later, after food. She also wants to scan his liver.
So...she gave him an incredibly throrough examination and he wasn't uncomfortable during it (although he is a particualrly stoic dog). We aren't sure what to do. At best the results are just a bit out and nothing is worng (she said they weren't that 'out' of the normal range) but at worse...it could be liver cancer.
Has anyone had any similar experiences...any one know more about this sort of thing????

Added: After much googling I asked the vet if it could be Cushings and they said no as Cushings would have given different results...I think his abdomen has enlarged, but the vet didn't comment when she examined him.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 10:33 AM
So sorry to hear you have more worries Ailsa Unfortunately I can't give any advice, but have my fingers crossed for a good result.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh Ailsa,

You have been through the mill lately, haven't you. I've no experiance or advice to offer. But am sending healing thoughts and hopefully the results only being abit out is a good sign. He's obviously in good hands between you and the new vet.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys..it never rains huh?
The receptionist at the vets knows my voice already...al the appts with Biffters and Mo and pup!!!!!
We're going to talk things through with Mo's vet on Wednesday when we are there with the pup. Thing is, I don't want to know if he has liver cancer...I know that may be wrong of me, but I just don't. Chemo is not an option I'd consider for him, nor is having major surgery, he would just hate it so much...and given his past health history...well, it's just not something me and OH think we would consider...so I don't want to spend whatever time he's got watching for new symptoms and deterioration if you see what I mean.
The blood test she wants to do could be clear and he could still be really ill....we are really not sure of what to do. At this point he's happy, he hurts a bit lying down and he drinks and pees a lot...all manageable...no sign of him being at all miserable...
Arghhhhhhhhh
We totally want to do what's best for him, but lots of trips to the vets isn't what is best for him...now some of the other dogs we've had we wouldn't hesitate...but he spends the whole time pulling to get out with his ears back..being a nervous wreck. Oh dear.
I want to have a proper chat then decide...just thought someone else may have a better idea than me...
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Don't loose heart. My dog had an anaesthetic at the age of 11 and her blood results showed liver function just out of the normal range. My vet reassured me that this is to be expected in older age and that if there was something seriously amiss it would be well out of the scale. This was about a year ago and although she has a bad heart her organs appear to be functionally normally.
The fasting blood test by the way, incase you did not already know, is to exclude diabetes I would think.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Don't loose heart. My dog had an anaesthetic at the age of 11 and her blood results showed liver function just out of the normal range. My vet reassured me that this is to be expected in older age and that if there was something seriously amiss it would be well out of the scale. This was about a year ago and although she has a bad heart her organs appear to be functionally normally.
The fasting blood test by the way, incase you did not already know, is to exclude diabetes I would think.
Thanks Hewey.
They said it may be nothing...but then it could also be something major.
I was guessing they may be excluding diabetes, but he had a fasting blood test the last time,so I thought they may have done it then? This is something to do with the liver..not sure what, from Googling I think it may be something to do with bile levels or something along those lines????
The quandry is, once he's scanned, I would have no option but to know that he has liver cancer, should that be the case and I don't want to know...blinkered I know...but better for me and him...
He has been drinking loads for ages...our last vet told us not to worry about it......this vet seems quite concerned...
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 11:55 AM

this for both of you ramble ,i really have no advice im afraid hun .
but i truly hope things get better really soon xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks DK! Axxx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't really have any advice but just wanted to send support Ramble

Wys
x
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Aww no Ailsa Don't have any real experience to offer I'm afraid, but my 1st thought ..especially if the abdomen was enlarged at all would have been Cushings due to the symptoms he's been experiencing lately. But, I'm no vet and if the bloods rule that out all that I can do is let you know that I'm here for you and wish him well, and hope that it is just a blip. * Hugs *
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >