Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2006, 02:16 PM

My Grandma

My Grandma always had smelling salts in her bag. She had lost her teeth and made horrid faces by arranging her false set outside her lips. She was soft and slightly powdery to touch as though she had been dusted all over in icing sugar, she maintained that soap and water where to harsh for her delicate skin. She was grumpy but I loved her.

She made me bacon butties to go on picnics with, her house had no bathroom, just a toilet down the yard in an outhouse.

On a Saturday when I stayed at hers we sat down to watch wrestling on the TV with Joey her budgie. Grandad would come in at tea time with a bottle of Coke a Cola for me (he had been to the pub all afternoon). Saturday night she would put my hair in rags ready for church on Sunday.
When she combed my hair it was with her nit comb (I didnt have any though, I think she wanted me to have some so she could call my mum a bad mother).

Church on Sunday was at the Catholic church where the service was in Latin. I didnt understand a word but I was enthralled by it all.

How I miss my Gran.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Lovely post Sue x
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 05:55 PM
What a great post. My gran's skin felt soft and smooth and she smelt of Vicks Vapour Rub, we used to call it 'Grans perfume' lol Whenever we stayed at my grans she would insit on a little bit under the nose and some rubbed on the chest.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Ahhh thats lovely, made me think about the times I stayed with my nan, she would always have an apple cake cooked ready for us and her kitchen used to smell of the apples.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Why are grans always so soft and cuddly? Here's a soft n cuddly *hug* for you Roxy..
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Great Blog.... I remember my Grannie always giving me a "shilling" (was actually a 5p) for a sweet. She done that from when I was about 5 years old and was still doing it when I was about 20 years old. Grandad would just look at me and shake his head...
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Both my grans had passed away before I was old enough to remember them. Reading your blog makes me realise how much I missed!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Lovely blog in rememberance of you Gran x