Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Does frontline have side-effects??

Flower appears to have fleas at the moment... I tried the frontline spray and that hasnt shifted them so got her some on the spot frontline from the vets today that I put on her neck. She is now acting slightly strange, crying and barking bizarrely?? I'm wondering whether its the frontline or if the fleas could be biting her causing her distress??

Any views would be appreciated

xxxxx
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Never experienced any problems with Frontline Spot on
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2007, 05:20 PM
My BC HATES forntline being applied and paces for a good couple of hours after its been put on. He loathes it and i try not to use it unless I have to.
Make sure she isn't having an allergic reaction, they are increibly rare but can happen...ususal allergic symptoms, chewing paws, swelling of eyelids, hives etc round her face. It probably isn't that but its worth keeping an eye on her.
If you read the leaflet that comes with it, there are allsorts of 'normal' side effects...no wonder really. I do hate the stuff but needs must...
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Never had any problems with spray or spot on
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Never personally experienced any problems with Frontline, although it does not agree with every single dog and can cause allergic reactions.

Just keep an eye on her for a while hun and if you are concerned, take her to see your vet.

Just one thing, if she does have fleas, it is probably worthwhile treating your house aswell. Whilst the frontline will kill the fleas that are actually on Flower, it will not kill the fleas in the environment. It doesn't take long for fleas to move from the animal into the house, and even whilst the weather is not so great, they love heating!

Hope she settles down soon xxxxx
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Frontline is not absorbed into the dogs bloodstream and is only toxic to the fleas hope this short post is of use
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Usual things like eyes and skin and poisonous if swallowed.
:
http://www.ask-the-vet.com/flea-spot-on-treatments.htm

Plus:
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/FI/fipronil.html
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Yep Fudge hates it too he goes mad. I think its the smell of it, it smells a bit chemical! Does him no harm though
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 08:41 AM
My old boy used to sleep after using frontline spray, it made him very dopey for a few hours, but with Jack I use the spot on and no side affects
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Never personally experienced any problems with Frontline, although it does not agree with every single dog and can cause allergic reactions.

Just keep an eye on her for a while hun and if you are concerned, take her to see your vet.

Just one thing, if she does have fleas, it is probably worthwhile treating your house aswell. Whilst the frontline will kill the fleas that are actually on Flower, it will not kill the fleas in the environment. It doesn't take long for fleas to move from the animal into the house, and even whilst the weather is not so great, they love heating!

Hope she settles down soon xxxxx
I do think it was maybe just the feeling on her neck and the smell that made her a bit odd!! hehe, but yes my mum has been round today with an industrial size can of spray from the vets to spray round the house and on the mattress!!!hehe!!

I did wake up this morning with two bites...really itchy, but on the plus side Flower seems too have calmed her itching, really hope this has done the trick xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >