Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Ralph just 'went' for me =|

Im still quite in shock and it happened about twenty minutes ago..
We've had lots of people round for a bbq today and the dogs have just been a roaming around chilled today etc etc.
Well..all I did was tell Ralph 'No OFF' when he climbed up to get some chicken off the side..he didn't listen to i went to hold him by his collar and he just 'snapped', literally Really snarly/growly fit at me and if i hadnt moved my arm quickly i really worry what would of happened..
Shock?
Doesn't cut it.
The most loving, laid back, sweet dog in the world usually..but those eyes really weren't like Ralph, it was as if something inside of him totally snapped apart.
I'm so...I really don't know.
Was it a one off thing? Was it due to the heat? What am i meant to do exactly?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Is he normally a food possessive dog?

It could be a combination of the heat, and the food being just too tempting, but my first thoughts would be to get him fully checked over by the vet seeing as it is so out of character for him. They will be able to rule out any possible medical cause for his behaviour.

Hope both you and Ralph are ok!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Did you Actually grab his collar??

If so they may be a chance he may have some pain around that area?

I also think having other Dogs around Lots of tasty smelly food and the Heat could make most Dogs snap.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
is he normally collar sensitive Luke? Do you grab him round it usually? He may be a bit collar sensitive and that with the lure of the food and the heat....
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I doubt it will be a one off Luke, It may be territorial, lots of people around his home and as he see's it, it belongs to him.
It may only happen when lots of people are around and the fresh smells of food. If he's normally ok with food & you, for future reference you may need to keep him away from BBQ's and lots of people.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
He's not a possessive dog over anything, he's just a pudding and lacks ability of anything bar love lol!
I say 'grab collar', i put my finger through the d ring and led him away.
A certain pair of round furry things have been in debate whether they should be removed or not, lately. Do you think it could be a 'male' kinda thing? He's seventeen months old. And he is starting to be a bit 'funny' with a cousins young male lab puppy, and strange people knocking the door etc. He also cocks his leg absolutely EVERYWHERE.
I checked his neck and nothing physically visible. It kinda seemed more of a 'thing' aimed at me making him do something he didn't want to do.
He's started with commands lately too, like asking him 'down and wait' for example..he takes a while to do so, and its like he tries to wait to see if your really intent on getting him to do something.
Could it be a connection between these things?
What would your thoughts be on castration?
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Sorry can't remember how old he is?
But when dori was about 5 months she did this and it was because she was hungrey and we need to give her more food, But i would also say seeing it has been so hot today and all the people around for the BBQ he may be tired.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I think it's likely it was a combination of stress factors, that individually wouldn't be enough to tip him, but add them together and they sent him over the edge.

It may be worthwhile checking he's got no discomfort around his collar.

Had he eaten? Has he been wormed recently?

Had anything happened beforehand that left you feeling a little stressed and perhaps he picked up on that?

I know it's a horrible thought, but he's not been physically punished by one of your guests has he and they hurt him so he was defending himself this time? Sometimes with so many people around it's difficult to know who's doing what to the dog!

Take a note of what happened, when it happened, what had happened before, what happened after etc. etc. and keep an eye on him, if it does happen again at least you have a record of it.

Just beware that you don't let it get you stressed because if a similar situation arises you will have to be calm with him and not let him sense any worry.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry Luke I replied while you were replying!

I wouldn't like to give too much of my opinion on that because T can be similar but I did have her spayed - not for a miracle cure, more to settle her down for further training as well as making sure she didn't produce offspring with the same traits.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I think, we may give the vet a ring and see what he says about it.
He is the most loving dog, yet lately there has been a more 'awkward/dominant' attitude too him.
When he snapped, he was very different. His eyes had a curious look too them. He was just not Ralph'ish.
He's lying on the decking at the bottom of the garden atm..he was quite his usually licky merry self within minutes of snapping, thats what worried me most How it was like a total character change within minutes..
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »