Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2017, 10:22 PM

Vestibular attack/disease

My almost 13 year old dog has had what the vet thinks is a vestibular attack, he has become unsteady on his legs & is tilting his head & is unable to keep food down/has no appetite (won't even voluntarily drink water), he has had an injection & been prescribed some pills - of which he's only had one so far so too soon to tell if they're working. I'm very worried.
Cyn_
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2017, 08:39 AM
HEy.. new to the forum..
I was thinkin about writing this or not, but i decided i would..cause some of you probably have so many experieces that i think it would defenetly help so much!
And maybe, charlew, it can help you too..
MY soon to be 13y.o. dog has a brain stroke(as for vestibular treatment is the same, but i would say sadly it seems more as a stroke). HE fell down suddenly infront of me in the mornin with no previous signs, eyes goin left and right, shaking a little. We took him to vet in less than 30min he was in infusion..which they repeated two more days, i dont know what was in it. They say they cannot rule out the infections, so they got him antibiotics, they were giving him Prednidale as they told me as well(iv i would say, cause the forth day on checking he got two injections, i am sorry, i didnt ask what he got). He was really very poor at the beginingˇ(he couldnt walk at all) but his condition quickly improved. Thanks to great vets i will forever be grateful.
The complications started when he got pills for using at home. I gave him one pill of PRednidale and one of KArsivan and he started shaking, breathin very quickly and then liquid diharrea pured out of him. I tought shit.. this was for an about an hour. Than he completely calmed down.
As it was Sunday we took him to other vet as his was not availible, he said that this is probably cause of Karsivan and that he wouldnt give that to his dog..
I called on Monday at his clinic they say than stop with KArsivan but Prendidale he should get as it couldnt be wrong as they gave it to him as well..okay, i tought..i calmed down a bit..but I gave him PRednidale pill and it was worse than yesterday. We called vet again(he said to stop givin him pills immidiatly).
On control he said that i should not give him if he cant handle it( KArsivan) altough its against blood cloths, but of Prendidale he said nothin and i didnt ask, ah. LAter we tought at home that it seems he handled prendidale iv, but not the pill or what.
SO now i dont know..he feels good, but I am kinda worried. Did he get enough Prednidale(6 dossage out of 11 prescribed)to help against swelling?
How much dossage of Karsivan should one recive to prevent or destroy blood cloths? One dossage is nothin?Vet said i could try again, but half dossage and never again if somethin happen again or if i dont want we shouldnt try again at all. Why dont they gave him sth like aspirin instead than?
I dont wanna screw it up.. thats why i am asking you..
For CT and future diagnostics they say is no need if the dog is feelin well, otherwise money was nevere ven question for me.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2017, 12:03 PM
My old dog had two episodes of vestibular disease. He wasn't put on any medication and, although it took a while on both occasions, he pulled through and was left with just the head tilt.

He lived on another couple of years after the last episode and lived to the age of 16. It was his hips that finally lead to him being given peace.

Sometimes, the vestibular episodes are brought on by a deep-seated ear infection so antibiotics are prescribed if this is the case. Prenisolone (which I assume is the same as the Prendidale) your dog was given is a steroid and some dogs can't cope with it
Cyn_
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Thank you so much for your answer and informations
He has head tilt, too.. He can walk almost completely staight, now(it happened less than a month ago)
Did you do any diagnostics at all(like blood or ultrasound or nothing?
Wow, thats great that he lived that long
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2017, 10:57 PM
No, no tests. His vet said that the attacks were likely to be age related rather than anything else. On the second attack, he did have a course of antibiotics just in case there was any deep ear infection, but the attack was no more or less severe.

The attacks are very scary and there's little you can do to help apart from making sure they are comfortable, that they eat (and in the early stages I had to hand feed when he was ready to accept a little food - he felt too sick to eat at all in the beginning), that they drink (at first I had to give water cupped in my hand because he resisted the water bowl) and, when he was ready, help him out on the garden to do his business by putting a towel under his tummy and basically holding him up and steering him.

We thought we were going to lose him when the first attack hit. Not so much with the second attack as we knew what was coming.

It's horrible to watch them go through it and feel so helpless