register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Mctimoney are different to the general run of chiropractors and do it by massage and manipulation.No one at the vets could fathom out Lona's problem (her neck got stuck pointing sideways) because by the time I got her there driving a zillion miles an hour because I was in panic mode, she'd released herself in the back of the car, screaming her head off all the way by the way!!!
Took Katherine Palin one session to sort her out, we've had a couple of regressions since, each time she's come down and put her back into place, she thinks its something connected with her being knocked over by a car years ago. Friend of mine with a Utonagon had something similar with her dog, vet had him on steroids,painkillers, dog was screaming. I advised her to do what I did, and she did, and dog was fine in one session and had some hydrotherapy as well. As mine have their own personal hydrotherapy facility I have no need for that. In fact my chiropractor says to keep her swimming as long as possible, even though she is a tadge rickety now, says her core strength will be all the better for it. Hence our weekly swim down by the pumping station, as Lona is no longer agile enough to spring over the debris on the way to the waterfall.
Moyra, not got my sander as yet, painting the girls house has priority, done some more today. Had a chance to get dry what I've done before the inevitable rain started.
Griff, hoping the blood test goes OK and you're given the all clear and feel better soon. Yesss I bet you could have fun with me and Mummy Numbnuts, you would think of stuff I could never dream of. She's back now, passed her car on my way round to my house from the bone run. I'll sort the spare room out and you can come over for a laugh.
Have taken Zen to bed, she was lying on the matting by the back door, it was raining, door to the new house was open for her, but no she would rather get wet. I would rather she didn't, so very reluctantly she went in. I shut the door and opened the other bottom half door to the sleeping compartment, where Kesh, and I know she won't be budging to let Zen past her
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Yes June, had a look, there is a McTimoney's at Wisbech which is more Lynns area, another chiropractice in Bury St. Edmunds, might give them a ring tomorrow although have to say SWMBO might not approve. Tonight it looked like Lara was improving, getting up and lying down seemed to go without pain. I put the medication into some sausages (It's a liquid) and she took them so we are both hoping that tomorrow will show more improvement.

I can just imagine what you went through having to drive Lona to the vets in her state. Not something you ever want to repeat I guess.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i have bit the bullet and booked for a blood test tomorrow...
Hope it goes well for you. I assume you'll still do the chemo thing as well, hope you don't suffer too much, will think of you when I'm out walking Casey. (God willing Lara will be up for going tomorrow as well)
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Evening all. Wish all well.
I know I don't address you and your canines personally. That is not intended as rude - as a relatively new boy, I'm just not on the inside track knowing who's who.

I had another long day today - 09:00 to about 18:00. Providing training for that period is draining. But it got done and went well.

My dog seemed rather pleased to see me when I got back. We walked. Quite a lot. Managed to avoid the rain for the most part.

Similar yesterday. Both my wife did the hospital trip so he was on his own for quite a few hours. Somehow, he just knew he wasn't going and he trotted out to the back garden and laid and waited. How does he know?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-09-2017, 11:05 PM
They know by observing what you are doing as it is a pattern you repeat. You do certain things and wear certain clothes if you are going for a walk, and do different things and wear different clothes, maybe even eat at a different time before you go out somewhere.
Mine know when its Tuesday and I am going on the bone run and not taking them out. They also know on a Sunday that Zen goes out with me on her own to class in the afternoon and they don't
Harvey, please do take Lara to the chiropracter, much less invasive, successful and drug free than vets visit that just mask the pain she is in and the cause. Treat the cause and there is no pain and no need for drugs, which in my book should be avoided if possible.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
They know by observing what you are doing as it is a pattern you repeat. You do certain things and wear certain clothes if you are going for a walk, and do different things and wear different clothes, maybe even eat at a different time before you go out somewhere
I'm sure he must detect differences or picks up on words/clues. It's not about clothing or when we eat or what we eat. Yesterday he went out and laid in the back garden before we even got our coats on.

I'm just curious to know what clues him in so early in the process.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2017, 05:41 AM
Instinct from years and years of being on this planet and far more intelligent than we give them credit.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2017, 09:08 AM
I agree Brenda, mine know exactly what I am going to do next. Yesterday I got the stepladder as was going to get a bit more painting done on their new house. Immediately they all got a bone and lay where they were comfortable and I organised myself round them, climbed the ladder and started painting. Every time I came down the ladder they stood, waited till I had gone where I was going, and rearranged themselves. Slight fracas between Kesh and Zen, Mabs ran at them, separated them and chased Zen into the big house, I said thank you Mabs, she wagged her tail and settled herself again.
People have no real understanding of body language and what give aways there are in it to any animal that is born with the ability to read it
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Instinct from years and years of being on this planet and far more intelligent than we give them credit.
I'll test him on a few more words that we use but don't address to him and report back.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
I'm sure you are absolutely right. He is quite a smart cookie. We do all the usual things including me puting my walking boots on - I wear them everywhere. But still, he knows he is not going.

I have tested a few new words like hospital, traffic, parking...but I still don't have the key. Actions I suppose. Maybe.

It's not a life or death matter. We get the best result we could wish for. Our beast accepting the situation for what it is. No trauma, he just waits.

Me, as an engineer, curious to understand the how and the why.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2