Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 12:15 AM

Itchy GSD

Yogi has always had a bit of an itchy skin. I have never worried unduly about it, as it is never inflamed, red or sore looking - but he does nibble and scratch alot! I asked the vet about it (especially after noticing a couple of hairless patches where he had nibbled on one back leg) and she wondered whether it could be due to his anal glands needing to be emptied. While he was in for neutering, they emptied his anal glands, but it didn't really make much of a difference. I bathed his foot with hibiscrub and it seemed to help that particular problem ... but he is still itching, nibbling and scratching.

I have tried giving him Yumega, but noticed little difference.

Is the only option left now to have blood tests at the vets?

Is there anything else I could try first?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Is it all year round or just certain times of the year?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:22 AM
It seems to be all year round Carole, so I have sort of unofficially ruled out harvest mites and other seasonal type allergies.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It seems to be all year round Carole, so I have sort of unofficially ruled out harvest mites and other seasonal type allergies.
if its all year round it could be dust mites. My dog suffers with an allergy to dust mites. I think the best thing to do would get allergy blood testing done. I had this done for my dog which showed he was allergic to dust and storage mites.

Hope you get your dog sorted out. Let us know how you get on with blood tests, if you decide to get them done.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
if its all year round it could be dust mites. My dog suffers with an allergy to dust mites. I think the best thing to do would get allergy blood testing done. I had this done for my dog which showed he was allergic to dust and storage mites.

Hope you get your dog sorted out. Let us know how you get on with blood tests, if you decide to get them done.
I have just ordered more Yumega Plus, to give it a chance to work and if this doesn't help, I will be taking Yogi in to see the vet (which neither of us will relish ).

As your dog suffers from an allergy to dust mites, how do you control it?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Have you tried anti histamines to see if the itching stops?

I give Finn vitamin c as it is a natural anti histamine along with fish oils to try and help his scratching. He does get Boots own anti histamine syrup when it is bad.

I think finding out the reason for the itching is the best option though
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I have just ordered more Yumega Plus, to give it a chance to work and if this doesn't help, I will be taking Yogi in to see the vet (which neither of us will relish ).

As your dog suffers from an allergy to dust mites, how do you control it?
I used Yumega plus on Coles and it did nothing for his skin, this was before we knew what his allergy was but it may help Yogi. I have tried lots of stuff for his allergy.

With regards to controlling the allergy, Coles is currently having immunotherapy treatment. Before he started this treatment, his allergy was getting worse and the 2x 5mg steroids a day were not working. He is currently on his fourth injection of immunotherapy treatment and is now down to 1 x 5mg steroid a day. Antihistamine did not touch his symptoms, which is why he has steroids. I also use Dermacton cream which soothes his skin as well as three baths a week in Episooth. All this combination of treatment seems to be working and he's not licking 24/7 any more. Also, I try to vacuum and mop as much as possible. Apparently mopping with 60oc heat kills the mites (if you have wood/vinyl floors). Also washing the dogs bedding at 60oc once a week will help. I have also been advised by the vet to keep my dog out of the bedroom as this is where most dust mites are found (I don’t know if your dog sleeps in your bedroom).

You may be best starting with 3 baths a week in episooth and using Demacton cream on his skin everyday (if possible) and see if you see an improvement, if not, a trip to the vets may be needed.

If you need any further information, just ask. I know how frustrating it can be to see your dog suffering and nothing seems to help.

Hope this helps.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Have you tried bathing with & then using spray Quistel ?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Have you tried an exclusion diet to rule out a dietary allergy?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:01 AM
If you have ruled out parasites of any form then you need to look at dust mites which is probably the single most common allergen and often overlooked by owners.

The way to treat this is to spray your house and car etc regularly with Indorex or Acclaim. Try to minimise soft furnishings and people often freeze the bedding.

You cannot rid the house of them entirely but also some homeopaths will sort out a remedy for you to help.

Hopefully your vet has ruled out Malazzessia which can cause itchiness, this is of course a yeast overgrowth fed by sugars so removing carbs from diet can help as well as giving probiotics.

In addition you can internally give

Fish Body Oils with Vitamin E to reduce inflammation
Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine
Feed Easy Green (spinach, watercress, parsley) from Dorwest

Externally

Quistel Body Lotion
Phytobalm (Hilton Herbs)
First Essential (HH)

Not sure if Yumega contains flax seed oil but I would avoid this with an itchy dog and in any case most dogs cannot process the ALA into DHA/EPA at all or if they do it is very inefficiently hence why Fish Body Oil is better.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >