Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Worried about Ishka's bevaviour, growling at other dogs

Ishka is now almost 8 months old, middle of last week I noticed her vulva looked swollen so I think she might be in a season. I have been walking her on a lead since then and by herself at quiet times in queit places. She has started freezing and growling at other dogs when she sees them and today an offlead collie charged at her (it didnt try anything on it didnt get the chance) and she actually snapped at it . She also growled at a sweet lab who paid her no interest at all just walked passed on his lead. We only saw 2 dogs as the walk is a very queit place. I understand being barged by a larger strange dog wont be very pleasant but what about the growling at others for nothing?? Could it be season related or lack of confidence with K not being around? Or something else maybe? Please help me I show her and dont want this to become a regular behaviour
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2012, 10:53 PM
PMS. She is just reminding the other dogs that she is not dating. Make an effort to avoid other dogs for the next three weeks or so. If she shows a decided change in attitude, might want to keep her home.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Seasonal hormonal changes affect different dogs differently. Some females can become aggressive during their season, or during a phantom pregnancy.

In most cases the behaviour settles once their hormones settle back down again but in some cases learned experience can occur and if that heppens the behavioural changes do not then dissipate spontaneously.

for that reason it would be sensible to keep her out of these situations for the time being. maybe road walking her in quiet areas at quiet times so she doesn't meet other dogs while in season?

After all presumably you need to avoid dogs during this time so she doesn't get mis-mated while in season anyway?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:02 AM
I hope it is just hormone related, we are walking on lead in a pretty desserted area but its impossible to avoid everyone, such is so on pavement walking too round here. There are a lot of numpties round here who walk dogs offlead by busy roads. Might try road walking really late instead see how many people I see...Thankfully she is still small enough to be picked up in an emergancy. I really dont want to keep her in unless I really really have to.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi sarah. I have to agree with everyone else that it is probably hormone related. Try and avoid other dogs if you can until her season is well and truly over. I know its easier said than done but hopefully she'll get back to her usual self after her season.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Many bitches (like many female animals) do become hypersensitive to stimuli during their seasons.

If you are keeping her entire you may wish to consider using some products to reduce this anxiety such as scullcap and valerian, EPO can help too for the next time.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:19 AM
You could try evening primrose to help balance her hormones. Our Mal gets awful PMT and the first season was the worst. We used the evening primrose this time and she was much better.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks all I will look into something to help her relax. If she doesnt get walked she walked she barks and goes a bit crazy.

Hormones do crazy things to us women Ishy is about as angry as a Teddy bear usually