View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Nothing in P@H that's anything over 14% in the trays or tins. However, I looked at the Wainwright's trays which I used to mix in with their kibble when Zena was a puppy sometimes, and from the feeding guide for a large dog, it's only 3/4 to 1 tray a day Doesn 't seem right to me (with the protein at 10% I think), but that might be worth a thought if I don't have to feed more than one meal a day, I know she would keep that down.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Not according to the trays it's not, I've just looked at them all in P@H and it's only 10% protein, shame, looks good.
This is in the wet food though - SB is referring to the "dry protein" if you account for the 77% moisture.
100 - 77 = 23% dry matter. 10% protein divided by 23% = 45% protein in the dry matter.

I wonder if something like this would be worth looking at?
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/nouri...chappell-32701
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that krlry, but surely they don't expect us to go into all those calculations when they are told to put it on the packet, i.e. what's in it and what the various levels are, in black and white, that we understand???!! If I want a high protein food, I only have to look on the packet of a puppy food and see that this can actually be as high as 30% on the packet/tin, and that tells me straight away, surely, that's what's in there, as opposed to what they've put on the packet of an adult food. I'm loathe to get the puppy food until I've spoken with the vet tomorrow morning when I take her in for the initial consultation, see what she says.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
It's because you're working in percentages though.
Imagine having half a cup full of kibble, say it's 100g and the label on the bag said it's a 20% protein. That means you'd have 20g protein in that half a cup. But fill the remainder of the cup up with 100ml water to get a soggy kibble mush and that cup is no longer 20% protein. That doesn't mean you've lost that 20g protein, just that the overall contents are diluted because you've made it half water now. If you packaged up this kibble mush, you'd have to put on the label that it was only 10% protein (20g in 200g of food)
Dogs don't really make much use of the water so it's the dry matter that's the comparable figure, that's what the dog is actually making use of.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Your vet may have some good ideas. The trays which say about feeding 1 a day, Cookie has had and he had a 1/3 on top of his dry food but his weight remained steady, so you will probably have to feed more but that depends on the dog.
The stuff which goes in seems pretty good IMO but I'm sure others will know more. It is much richer than Chappie though, but if she is struggling with larger meals then maybe that is best plus less time sat on the stairs rolling them into balls! lol
I really hope you get to the bottom of this, and there is something which can be done to help poor Zena out, she sounds such a wonderful girl.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
It's because you're working in percentages though.
Imagine having half a cup full of kibble, say it's 100g and the label on the bag said it's a 20% protein. That means you'd have 20g protein in that half a cup. But fill the remainder of the cup up with 100ml water to get a soggy kibble mush and that cup is no longer 20% protein. That doesn't mean you've lost that 20g protein, just that the overall contents are diluted because you've made it half water now. If you packaged up this kibble mush, you'd have to put on the label that it was only 10% protein (20g in 200g of food)
Dogs don't really make much use of the water so it's the dry matter that's the comparable figure, that's what the dog is actually making use of.
AHHHHHH I get it now!!!! So having digested all that, it seems to me, I don't want 70% moisture, especially if I'm looking for good nutrinional value in a food and also because I want to feed her less to get the value from the protein. Have to say, what you found on that link looks absolutely fantastic for what I want though, so I'm definitely going to get some of that no matter what food I end up feeding.m Thanks so much krlyr much appreciated.

Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Your vet may have some good ideas. The trays which say about feeding 1 a day, Cookie has had and he had a 1/3 on top of his dry food but his weight remained steady, so you will probably have to feed more but that depends on the dog.
The stuff which goes in seems pretty good IMO but I'm sure others will know more. It is much richer than Chappie though, but if she is struggling with larger meals then maybe that is best plus less time sat on the stairs rolling them into balls! lolI really hope you get to the bottom of this, and there is something which can be done to help poor Zena out, she sounds such a wonderful girl.
Lol yes, she's got that one down to a tee now, but sadly, I really don't think it's working!! I think my original theory I had a couple of weeks ago is the right one, i.e. some foreign body in the stomach which is stopping the food going through sometimes, depending where it's sitting.

There was a thread on here recently which I'm going to drag up to ask the girl about, when her dog had swallowed a plastic spatula and nothing as yet has appeared the other end, and I'm sure I'm right in remembering her vet said it would sit quite happily in the stomach and would not get digested because of the material that it was I wonder if she's had this intermittent sickness yet or whether she's since had the x-rays can't remember, so I'll ask.

Zena is theeee most wonderful friend I have ever had in my entire life and that's why I've got to do my very best for her Thanks Sarah
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I wonder if jars of baby food would be worth considering. Not on their own but added to a wet dog food to increase the protein content.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I wonder if jars of baby food would be worth considering. Not on their own but added to a wet dog food to increase the protein content.
I wouldn't have thought babyfood would have that much of a nutritional value to dogs. E.g. Hipps cottage pie jar is only 2.8g protein per 100g, Cow & Gate's beef casserole slightly higher but only 3.4%
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I've done better than that I think! I've just used that little £20 food processor I bought this morning and have to say, sooooo wish I'd thought of that on Friday instead of using the Chappie, coz it mashed it up a treat, she's had her roast beef, potato, veggies all whizzed up firm enough to shape into those balls plus I mixed some Chappie in with it of course to keep that going coz the poo's were so normal yesterday and today, unlike the unusual ones I've had over the past month no matter what I fed her.

She was sooooo hungry, I just had to give in and try a little bit of lunch, which now means, I've got a good 5 1/2 hours before her last meal tonight before she's got to be starved (I think it's 8pm isn't it for vet next day?) It could also be better that she's not had to have so much in one go tonight now that I've split it as normal. So far so good, no running outside in the middle of the meal and now she's sleeping, ahhhhhhh. If she throws up tonight, then that's going to go in a plastic box for the vet tomorrow,. along with everything else and my week-end log of events! They're used to me up there though!!!

ETA: I've just reserved two of those fantastic pastes you pointed me to Krlyr so I'll pick those up tomorrow.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Speaking of vets, maybe Royal Canin Recovery would be worth asking about?
http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/vet/clin.../recovery.aspx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >