Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Gender or colour?

Obviously, when getting a dog, health and temperament should come first (well, IMO it should).

But, if you have a litter of healthy pups, from health tested parents, good breeder etc, then what would come first for you? Gender or colour (if you couldn't get both)? Obviously not counting things, such as needing a specific gender to suit any current dogs.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I bred a litter in october, 3 dogs and one bitch. Two of the boys had nicer markings than the girl, but I went for the girl because my plan had always been to keep a bitch.
I would ALWAYS choose gender (and temperament) over colour.
That said, its a dog I have to live with for the next 10-15 years so I wouldnt choose an 'ugly' one lol.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I've always preferred dogs but had a bitch time before last and she was quite the easiest puppy and is the sweetest dog so that has changed my preference a bit. Having said that, my latest male puppy is also a sweetheart although rather harder work!

As far as colour goes, you can't beat a classically marked black and white collie but, again, my latest is a tri colour and he is very striking! I'm not over keen on the merles.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Gender every time. I have never owned, or wanted a boy - mine have always been girls.

When I was expecting my firstborn I always said that if I had a boy I would send him back. Luckily I did not have to do so!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:02 PM
It would depend on why I wanted another dog, if it was purley to work then gender would come before colour everytime. If it was to continue a blood line it would probably again be gender before colour.

The only time colour would come before gender would be if the only puppy that was the right gender was a undesirable colour(like a white/blue/liver GSD) then I would go for the best of the desirable colours, having said that it is very unlikely I would go to a breeder or breed a litter myself that contained undesirable colours.

I own two KC non standard colour BCs, however they were bred to work & not for colour so colour doesn't come into it & the ISDS do not have any undesirable colours anyway
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Mine picked me
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:26 PM
ooh tricky one.. having owning one of each, and with my breed i dont mind what gender i have with CCs, i would choose colour.. they have a wide variety, and im quite picky with what i like the look of

but with a future larger breed, i think it would be gender, because i go off what other owners say as to whether they think a dog or a bitch is easier as a first dog.. obviously i would want the easier one to begin with them being a larger breed.. CCs are easy to handle when they have a problem i imagine a larger breed may not be so easy
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Hmmmm, I think I would choose colour over gender but would have to have a long think if the colour I wanted happened to be the gender I didnt want.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Gender would depend on if I currently had a dog as I would go for the opposite sex to what I already had. Otherwise it would be immaterial.

Colour wise, I will always go for solid coloured black, shades of cream/gold/red or black and tan with minimal white on the chest - my head is not turned by saddle markings, particolours or patches. Do not care for chocolate, blue, lilac, isabella etc... Can take or leave brindles.

Not that I have had any say in the matter for my last 6 dogs. But they have all been the colours I like - not that I would have turned them down as I nearly took on a beautiful lilac particoloured shar-pei.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Gender first colour next ....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »