register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Fireworks should they be freely available to the general public
Should fireworks only be allowed at liscensed public displays 74 89.16%
Or Freely available to the public to buy 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
More dogs and animals are severely traumatised by fireworks than by cars.
Really? because I'd have thought more animals were injured by cars every year than by fireworks, and I'd have thought being hit by a car would be rather an unpleasant experience, maybe not if death is instantanious.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
I used to enjoy having fireworks as a kid, don't get them now though. Will watch the neighbours if they have any.

I don't think they should just be restricted to licensed events, yes some people abuse them and yes people and other animals get injured, but then, you could argue some drivers abuse cars, don't see anyone suggesting we ban cars, and let's face it, more people and other animals are injured in RTA's than by fireworks.
I don't think cars and fireworks can be compared... People use cars because they are convenient, we can get from A to B much more quicker than walking or cycling. In a sense, we 'need' them. We don't need fireworks... fireworks are for our enjoyment, rather than any need for them. Lets face it, most peoples lives would not change if fireworks were banned, there are other ways for people to entertained, and other things for people to enjoy... Cars being banned would make a big impact on most peoples lives.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I don't think cars and fireworks can be compared... People use cars because they are convenient, we can get from A to B much more quicker than walking or cycling. In a sense, we 'need' them. We don't need fireworks... fireworks are for our enjoyment, rather than any need for them. Lets face it, most peoples lives would not change if fireworks were banned, there are other ways for people to entertained, and other things for people to enjoy... Cars being banned would make a big impact on most peoples lives.
Your right, that probably wasn't the best analogy, perhaps alcohol would have been a better one, people miss use it, it's not designed to make peoples lives more convenient, it isn't necessary and people would carry on without it.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm a human petrified of fireworks after having one thrown at me when I was younger - it's not so much the 'bang' but the idiots in control over them.
At work I have to fill in a mountain of paperwork to handle the chemicals in fireworks - sold to 16yrs in supermarkets. How can that ever seem like a good idea?

The point about wildlife, not just domestic animals made earlier is also a good one - and it's a shame animal welfare is ignored in exchange for 'fun' during November.

Surely, those who enjoy fireworks would rather watch an organised event rather than see/hear the random sparkle/bang of fireworks being set off here, there and everywhere!?!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Your right, that probably wasn't the best analogy, perhaps alcohol would have been a better one, people miss use it, it's not designed to make peoples lives more convenient, it isn't necessary and people would carry on without it.
You make a good point Tazer.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Really? because I'd have thought more animals were injured by cars every year than by fireworks, and I'd have thought being hit by a car would be rather an unpleasant experience, maybe not if death is instantanious.
I didn't say injured I said traumatized as in mentally scared witless. Think of all the millions of wild animals traumatized by the fireworks as well as domestic pets.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I voted for B)
I really really like fireworks, none of my pets are noise sensitive though, where we live they hear shotguns, crow scarers and low flying aircraft daily and aren't fazed by fireworks.
Perhaps I would feel differently if I had experienced having a pet that was seriously upset by such things, who knows it could always happen in the future.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I can see both sides of this. Few years ago i would have said only trained people should have access to them. However,after watching all our rights etc being bled away by the different goverments in power and having to be licensed to do this,pay tax to do that im gonna be stubourn and say the public should still be able to legally buy them.

As a side note,i do have an explosives licence yet curiously fireworks have never floated my boat.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Pookin View Post
I voted for B)
I really really like fireworks, none of my pets are noise sensitive though, where we live they hear shotguns, crow scarers and low flying aircraft daily and aren't fazed by fireworks.
Perhaps I would feel differently if I had experienced having a pet that was seriously upset by such things, who knows it could always happen in the future.
I think that you sum up the differing opinions on here.........those whose dogs/animals are not worried by loud bangs and fireworks see no harm in them, but those who have experienced the appalling trauma of phobic animals would love to see fireworks banned for general sale.

I have a friend whose dog was quite happy when fireworks/triple banger bird scarers, guns etc. were in the vicinity, and she always was on the side of the live and let live. However, one night she came round for dinner and saw for herself what happened to our dog when fireworks were let off locally out of the blue. She was absolutely horrified, and to say that the sight of our dog digging in the corner until her paws were red hot and bleeding, whilst her eyes bulged and her heart raced (not to mention the uncontrollable shaking and heart rending screams) left her in tears and shaken is an understatement. From that night on she was firmly in the "ban fireworks" camp.

So basically, I am agreeing with you Pookin, in that it is easy to say that there is nothing wrong with these explosives as long as it never directly affects you and yours. As you say, if it ever causes a problem then things change.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7