Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
just curious. why did you call RSPCA?
is that your vet or did you get pup from them?
Hi - I rang them because the vets line was constantly engaged last night - and yes we did get her from the RSPCA... and when we collected her their last words were "If you have any concerns please ring us".... but it was only the helpline I got through to not the centre so I left it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Hi - I rang them because the vets line was constantly engaged last night - and yes we did get her from the RSPCA... and when we collected her their last words were "If you have any concerns please ring us".... but it was only the helpline I got through to not the centre so I left it.
ah. thats what i thought. we would say them at our rescue for dogs we have adopted out.
but one of the problems we can get is members of the public contacting us about their sick animals when all we can say is we arent a vet surgery so just go to a vet.
if it were one of our animals, we would be just contacting a vet ourselves.
hence my question. its always perlexed me why people do this, in the same way they come on dog forums and ask members whats wrong with their animal instead of contacting a vet.
i dont mean you have these things btw.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Our pup had a bout of bloody diahorrea, and it looked worse than it was. Best to get it checked out though just to be safe.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Have you decided what to do with her yet?

Hope she's OK today xx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 05:22 PM
We fed her on chicken & rice 2 hourly as instructed yesterday - she seemed really hungry all day but the diahorea & bloody mucus stopped... her poos just got better (having performed a post mortem each one - I've become obsessed with poo!) Tried to re introduce the Purina food today but she still doesn't want it. We have an appointment at the vets tommorrow for her 2nd jabs so will see what they say.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Tillymint the food the puppy usually eats should be reintroduced very gradually over about a week by substituting a little of the chicken and rice for the normal food . If you don't do this you risk upsetting the puppy's tummy again.

This applies whenever you change one type of food for another.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tillymint the food the puppy usually eats should be reintroduced very gradually over about a week by substituting a little of the chicken and rice for the normal food . If you don't do this you risk upsetting the puppy's tummy again.

This applies whenever you change one type of food for another.
I feel stupid now..thought we were doing well but the diahorrea & bloody mucus has returned this evening. I only mixed a few pieces of the puppy food with the chicken & rice.
Obviously it was too soon though. Can't wait to get her to the vets tommorrow.
I wonder if her vaccinations will be put off until her tummy has settled?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Tilly,

Please don't feel stupid. As someone else has already said, if you are orried then feel free to come here and aire your concerns.

At a guess I'd say many of us have had dogs with runny and/or bloody poo. My last GSD (fortunately the only one ofmy dogs) had colitis whch started off with bloody mucus in her poo. But it's differnet for every dog.

it nearly always looks worse than it is and if your pup is still drinking and is alert and active or playful, then there's probably not much to worry about.

My dogs are 12 and 8 months old, and still they have rice and chicken twice a week because it's so bland it doesn't cause any stomach upsets and it seems to firm up their poo.

You're doing fine with your new pup and jsut as you are adjusing to her, she is adjusting to you. Give her time - I'm sure she'll be fine.

Please keep us posted on how she is.

Take care,

Laura xx
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I would have a chat with the Vet before getting the second Jab done?

How long did she become ill after having the first injection?
She may have had a bad reaction to that.

Even if thats not the problem,I would give her a few days to recover before having it done.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi Tillymint it's early days yet, you haven't had the puppy for a week yet have you?
If the puppy was mine I would keep it on white fish or chicken and rice feeding just small meals at a time until I had two or three days of better poos ,they will still be pale because of the rice but the starch in the rice should firm things up

Then gradually return to the puppy food as previously suggested soaking it first to make it soft.

Moving to a new home must be very scary for a little puppy and with a change of food (and remember yours ate cat food) and water too I am not surprised some get an upset tummy (we have had lots on here that do).
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >