Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
But we are talking a smaller breed than gsds and danes i wouldnt think they would have the major growth spurts as our breeds do to envisage growing pains....
I know the breeds listed generally are larger breeds but interestingly [ I think ? ] I did find a link for a Staffie health survey being done in the US which states :

-----------------------

"You will notice that we have listed a lot of different conditions that MAY occur. If your dog has had any of them, select the box and select "Yes" instead of the default "No". Then fill in the age of the dog when the condition developed. If the dog did NOT have a condition, skip to the next question.

In the Skeletal section the list is :

Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD)
Panosteitis
Patellar Luxation
Arthritis
Spinal Myelopathy
Cervical Vertebral Instability (Wobbles)"

-----------------------------

[ Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD) and Panosteitis both being on all the links regarding growing pains ]. I`m assuming there must be some known cases among Staffies as well for them to include the conditions specifically in the short list of things they are surveying or else they would not have included them ??

Its a US survey but if you are interested in the things they are asking about, the link to the full questionaire is here :

http://www.staffordmall.com/staffordhealthsurvey.htm

There is an email contact there also, might be worth you getting in touch with them to see if any / much prevalence has been found there so far ?

I don`t know if any such survey has been carried out in the UK regarding Staffies so it could be that its more common than the listings of larger breeds suggest.

I wonder if bone / build density of such a proportionally more muscled/heavy for height breed like Staffies might lead to the possibility of it happening as their growth process / filling out etc is probably a little more intense than lighter built smaller breeds ?
[ Just pondering on possibilities there, my wierd `thinking out loud ` theorising does overtime on occasion ].
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Blimey this thread has came along since i went to bed last night

Sarah Chance is 6 months and although it does seem to affect one leg more than the others he does occassionally limp on two other legs, the only one i havent seen him limp on is his back right leg

Thanks for the links Patch, i will have a read of all of them in a min
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2007, 08:42 AM
When loki was ill and had eaten garden wire he also had a limp on one of his back legs and the vet said that it was growing pains.
So yes i think they can get them
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Ive printed out 3 of those articles as it will make for good reading in bed tonight

Ive also emailed the stafford one that patch gave

Ill let you know if i get a reply

The ones i have read make it sound like its quite painful and to be honest he doesnt seem like he is in that much pain He doesnt yelp when you touch his leg, but i have to admit i have never heard Chance yelp

When he limps, he isnt comfortable with you touching his leg though. So maybe it does hurt, and he just doesnt show it like some would

Its really weird cause he hasnt limped at all today or yesterday but everytime i think he hasnt limped for a few days he normally at some time will.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Ive printed out 3 of those articles as it will make for good reading in bed tonight

Ive also emailed the stafford one that patch gave

Ill let you know if i get a reply

The ones i have read make it sound like its quite painful and to be honest he doesnt seem like he is in that much pain He doesnt yelp when you touch his leg, but i have to admit i have never heard Chance yelp

When he limps, he isnt comfortable with you touching his leg though. So maybe it does hurt, and he just doesnt show it like some would

Its really weird cause he hasnt limped at all today or yesterday but everytime i think he hasnt limped for a few days he normally at some time will.

Aha, me thinks you may have a clue in that statement. It may just be as Wolfie said earlier that he damaged his ligaments when he tore his dew claw. I know you said your original thread was 6th Feb, but, ligaments can take longer than breaks to heal, and it may be that he keeps redamaging it (or just pulling it) and that could explain it seeming better for a few days and then painful again. Just a thought.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Would the vet not of been able to pick that up though Or would an xray or something need to be done
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Would the vet not of been able to pick that up though Or would an xray or something need to be done
It would need an Xray to confirm
Nijiel777
New Member!
Male 

29-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
That does sound very much like the description given in the first link, and the various sites do suggest that Alsatians are particularly prone to it.

This is from the first link, [ in case anyone wants a quick rference without plodding through all the links in one go ]

"What is panosteitis?
Panosteitis is a bone disease of dogs that is characterized by bone proliferation and remodeling. It is often painful and can last as long as 18 months, though more commonly it lasts from 2 to 5 months. It is characterized by lameness that often comes and goes and changes from leg to leg. It is a common problem in several large breeds and the cause is currently unknown. The treatment is symptomatic but the outcome is usually very good.

Who gets panosteitis?

Panosteitis is most common in large breed dogs between 6 and 18 months of age. Occasionally, middle-aged German Shepherds will have a bout of panosteitis. It affects dogs worldwide and has been recognized and studied since the 1950's. Male dogs are much more likely to get panosteitis then females. There is a higher incidence in several breeds including German Shepherds, Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Rottweilers, and Basset Hounds."
I have a german shepherd that is about 3 months. I think he might have this because when ever he get up he wimpers and when he is laying on the floor and i lift his leg. He is fine when he walks. But i think he might be too young for this to happen.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 11:24 AM
When my GSD had this he was not like this. He did not seem distressed on getting up & down he just limped on a leg & was less eager to join in rough & tumble games with the bitch. After anti inflamitories & pain killers he would settle down & be fine for a couple of months & then we'd get another bout on a different leg. After 16 months it stopped & never troubled him again. I must add that he was a big dog & prone to growth spurts which I often wondered if this had any bearing on the situation.
I'd get the puppy checked in case he's pulled something out of place. Problems can easily occur at this young age when things are still growing.
bigbadbonzo
New Member!
Male 

01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
our dog has pano,wandering leg lameness,he had xrays on all legs,all fine,it went from one leg to another,but in his front leg it came and went for at least a month.one of my other dogs hurt his leg once,and after it got better,used to do a' sympathy limp',now and again,and would snap out of ot as soon as he got loving.but growing pains,especially in bigger dogs,does exist,ive had many sleepless nites to prove it,and am not out of the woods yet,two more legs left to go!!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2