Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Wet and dry foods?

I am thinking of feeding my 5month old pup on a combo of dry kibble and wet meat.
He is on Wainwrights puppy kibble at the moment but I think its rather boring, and have seen wainwrights meat trays in pets at home and thought it would be worth a try!

Has anyone had any experience with these? Or feeding half and half?

Any info/advice will be greatly appriciated x
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I have used Wainwrights dry as training treats, and Wainwrights trays on holiday, and I would say that it's a good quality food with no rubbish in it. I also use Nature Diet when I'm camping. That's good stuff too.
Miranda53
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi,
My question would be "does your pup think it's boring?". If he's happy with his food and not showing any intolerances, I would be wary about making any changes. I've personally had bad experiences mixing wet and dry. My puppy would eat the wet out first, and eventually stopped eating the dry altogether. It took me ages to get her back onto dry food. If you want to give him wet, I would suggest feeding it as a separate meal, which is what I do now. It gives her something different, but to be honest, the experts all say they don't need variety!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 05:19 PM
If you want something that the dog would find interesting and stimulating why not look into a raw diet? I can give you a few links with info if you are interested.
Deborahjane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I have used Wainwrights Puppy and Adult with no problems for my Cavaliers and wouldnt change them to anything else. ...they seem to like it.
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I feed Obi on Wainwrights but he also gets a little Nature Diet in with it, have never tried the wet Wainwrights. He only gets a third of a tray in and I reduce the dry a little. He has been on this for ages now probably near on 2 years and is looking very good on it.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys!
Evie- I have thought about a RAW diet but the cost is a bit of an issue, cant get much meat for a £...
+ Im gueseing its alot to prepare everyday.

Thanks anyways tho, and I would be interested in reading the links to raw diet, if only to say I have researched it =]
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replys!
Evie- I have thought about a RAW diet but the cost is a bit of an issue, cant get much meat for a £...
+ Im gueseing its alot to prepare everyday.

Thanks anyways tho, and I would be interested in reading the links to raw diet, if only to say I have researched it =]
Most of what I buy is from the supermarket and local butchers and to be honest it's just as cheap, sometimes cheaper than when I fed them on a good quality kibble. Once you have researched and got to grips with how much to feed it's as easy as taking (for example) a piece of chicken from the fridge and handing it to the dog.

Here's a few links you might find useful:
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/FAQlist
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/
Also look for the "rawfeeding" yahoo group; it's a wealth of info and lots of people on there been feeding raw for decades.

Tom Lonsdale has two books out which are also very useful.
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Dry is not only convenient but it gives you much more control over nutrients, particularly when a pup is growing up. The problem is often when we think of our pets as little humans - many dogs have been fed the same food throughout their lives and have no problems with appetite!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by nellie_dean View Post
Dry is not only convenient but it gives you much more control over nutrients, particularly when a pup is growing up. The problem is often when we think of our pets as little humans - many dogs have been fed the same food throughout their lives and have no problems with appetite!
Dry food is certainly convenient, but I wouldn't say it's better nutrition wise than the wet food (of good quality) and certainly not better than raw. I have not found raw to be inconvenient since switching from BARF to RMB and ditching the veggies. Cost wise raw is much cheaper, especially if you can find a butcher who will save you carcasses and trimmings etc. I used to spend £30 - £40 per month on dry food for Loki when he was an only dog, but when I switched to raw, I spent about £15 - £20. The beauty of raw is that you don't need the great cuts of meat. The fatty cheaper cuts are better, as dogs get their energy from fats. they need less volume of food too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >