Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joannams
New Member!
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Dakota's mom (problems with liver)

Hello Everyone:

I am the proud mom of a 9 year old mixed breed girl who is the love of my life. I am looking for support and advise on how to proceed with her liver issues and if possible to prevent liver surgery scheduled for October 27.

The regular vet said that Dakota's ALP count was 1,443 but her liver function within normal range.

The first internist thinks the 5+cm mass could be regenerative liver tissue (the first ultrasound was 3+cm so it has grown in the three months between ultrasounds). he did not seem to committed to surgery but gave it as an option - but he made that just one of four options. He did not run a bile acid test. But did say regenerative tissue could cause elevated liver levels. Dakota was on Denomarin but the pills upset her stomach and didn't seem to dissolve well.

The second internist recommended surgery. She ran a urine (normal range) and bile acid (59.6). She doesn't feel that a needle aspiration would get good results. A new Xray and ultrasound will be done on October 22. I meet with the surgeon on October 26 and if I approve the surgery will take place on Octover 27. I don't want to put Dakota through such an invasive procedure. I have pet insurance so the cost is mostly covered.

The third internist read the reports and said the best option was to do surgery. He did not run any tests.

She has been on SAMe and milk thistle for around two weeks. Has anyone seen a relative fast response to this treatment? I'm just wondering if I should give it a little longer to see if it helps reduces the ALP or bile acid or even the mass before committing to surgery.

I am trying to make the best decision but as you would expect I am worried about surgery.

Joannams

stanilj@aol.com
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Welcome to dogsey, sorry no advice here but just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck with finding the advice you need to help your doggie x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Joanna and welcome .

Sorry to hear Dakota is having health problems. You don't say how the liver problems began so we don't have the whole story.

The decision to operate on Dakota (subject to the result of the further scan ) is based on a two to one majority opinion of three vets, they are the ones in possession of all the relevant details and in this situation one can only trust their judgement.

I don't know if the SAMe and milk thistle will help or if a delay may result in the mass increasing even more in size. Again you can only be guided by your vets who have all the facts.

Joanna, whatever you decide to do good luck and I hope you see some improvement in Dakota's condition very soon..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:07 AM
What is the mass? Is it malignent and what is the prognosis?

I would not put an older dog through the op but some 9 year olds are very young. Only you know your dog.

I left my 12 year old at the vets recently for the same sort of problem and she was put out for the ultrasound, I said if it was a mass then not to bring her round.

As it turned out it wasn't but that was my decision at the time for that dog. You have to decide for yours.

Good luck whatevrer you decide.

rune