Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thomaskgrosvenor
New Member!
Male 

11-02-2017, 05:35 PM

Cough and Lethargy

Hello, my name is Tom, I am new to the forum.

For a male Australian Shepherd mix breed approximately 10 – 11 years old - summary of symptoms: 1) Cough, sometimes a dry hacking followed with a gag like sound and sometimes just a puffing sound. The coughing, however has been of varying degrees of frequency and intensity and sometimes long periods of no coughing at all. 2) Periods of appetite loss and lethargy (moving around much more slowly, unable to jump up in back seat of car or onto his bed, looking almost inebriated) lasting one to two days followed by 5 -10 days of back to normal behavior. The symptoms have been somewhat cyclical for the past month and a half.

I am posting for insight as to the cause of the symptoms along with the inconsistencies I am observing in them and for comments of others who may have had similar experiences with their dogs. Any thoughts or directions to threads of similar concerns would be appreciated.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Your dog needs to see a vet.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Yes Trouble, I agree.
thomaskgrosvenor
New Member!
Male 

13-02-2017, 03:02 AM
I agree too. Here is some more background info anyway:

The symptoms he has been experiencing have been coughing, lethargy (moving around much more slowly, unable to jump up in back seat of car or onto his bed) and loss of appetite. The symptoms started showing up in the beginning of January 2017. I brought him to emergency vet/referral clinic and ended up requesting antibiotics (Naxcel injection followed by 6 day round of clavamox). After 3rd day of antibiotics, appetite and energy returned but he was still experiencing the cough at varying degrees of intensity and with varying frequency.
I made appointment with the referral vet about 10 days later. Dog was still coughing intermittently but since his energy and appetite had returned, I agreed to just get some recommended Hydrocodone to help with the cough.
But then two days later, lethargy and appetite issues returned.

Update 2/11: Have made appointments for blood work and x-rays. Dog seems to be doing well except for coughing. Eating and energy looks ok for his age. One additional thing that I notice is that one of his ears seems to be limp. He has floppy ears but as he alerts to something they both normally retract and rise a bit. Just today I am noticing that only his right ear is doing that while the other is not. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.