View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2010, 03:01 PM

Why would you tell a stranger you have a pit cross...

Some dude came up too me and Oz in pets at home with his young kids saying to them look thats what their puppy will look like . so i reply so you have a boxer what colour ?? his reply black its crossed with a pit and a shar pei ...Dont know why he felt the need to tell a stranger that he owned a pit cross ... ....
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 03:11 PM
It's bizarre isn't it? I had the same thing in the park a few weeks ago. A woman had two dogs with her and they were playing nicely with Kia. I got chatting to her and asked what they were as one had a very staffie head and the other not so much. Her reply: "Oh they're brothers, staffie cross pit and maybe a bit of GSD". I was gobsmacked! They were well behaved dogs and gorgeous but surely it's not something she should be telling people? They could be taken off her and - god forbid - PTS!!!

S xoxox
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 03:29 PM
all it takes is them to say it to the wrong person and they will lose their beloved pets!
crazy! why take the risk?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Some dude came up too me and Oz in pets at home with his young kids saying to them look thats what their puppy will look like . so i reply so you have a boxer what colour ?? his reply black its crossed with a pit and a shar pei ...Dont know why he felt the need to tell a stranger that he owned a pit cross ... ....
I'd say it may be to just show off and appear a big strong macho man.

Or, being nicer perhaps due to sheer ignorance?

Wys
x
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Most people who think, or at least claim, to have a pit bull do not, in fact, have one.

The last that I met was in my local park just last week.

"She's half-pit." he told me with a leer and conspiratorial wink.

I looked again but...

"Looks like a long legged staffie to me." I replied.

Ignoring this he expanded "Got her from Battersea."

Well that cleared up the issue of 'type' (no typey dogs ever emerge alive from Battersea) but did he not realise that he had just exposed his first claim as a lie? Should I point out that, as an adult rescue dog, he could not know that his dog had an illicit lineage?

I didn't bother. I nodded and continued my walk. As the adage goes...you can't fix stupid.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I get this all the time people in town come up to make a fuss of Milo and start telling me about their pitbull or pitbull cross I've even been asked if I wanted a couples pitbull as it didn't like their baby was fine with the two other kids (who were playing with milo) but it was jealous of the baby. I just politely declined lol

My OHs sister also had someone who walked past Milo and said that he was a pitbull and they wanted him and his gf said go and get him then and they both turned round and started to come towards her and she ran in her house and got get dad and brothers and they ran off

I don't understand some people.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 06:52 PM
That's so wierd, just got back from a walk and we bumped into a guy with what looked like a staffy x but when he came over to comment on Chester I asked was she a staffy, he replied with a wink and a comment 'well that's what it says on the certificate' and then went on to say actually she's a pitball crossed with a dog de bordeaux, not sure if he's just full of bull**** but even so what I ask you is the point of that mix?! Makes me so mad!! Arg!
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I get this all the time, so many idiots out there and half the time... its just lab or staffie crosses..
One person i met had a teeny tiny staffie puppy in a blanket, and she was boasting about her "pitbull" I asked her if she knew that the breed was illegal and she genuinly had no idea of the law at all...
I then told her that it was likely to just be your normal staffordshire bullterrier, maybe a cross lab or boxer at the most.
-_- People these days! Where do they get educated?

Tis the deed not the breed! Idiots going around bragging are exactly the reason that poor pits have a bad name.

These are real Pitbull terriers (see the different shapes and sizes), Living in America and all struggling to find new homes because of their big scary eat-you-up reputation. Its one of my favourite pages to visit I want to share it with you all, its ran entirely by volunteers who fight to rehome these dogs and save them from being PTS. I just love the work they do, would love to go over and do a bit of volunteering for a couple of weeks and get to really know this breed and some of the beautiful dogs that are just wanting to be loved.

What do you think of it? Avery looks gorgeous!

http://www.pawprintz.org/id3.html
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I'd say it may be to just show off and appear a big strong macho man.

Or, being nicer perhaps due to sheer ignorance?

Wys
x
That would be my guess too!

Dave once went into a supermarket and there was a guy stood outside with a large dog. He asked if he could say hello, the dog was very friendly and he asked what the dog was. He was told a mastiff x pitbull. He didn't really know what to say to that so just said 'Oh, right' and went into the shop. But what if Dave had been a police officer, or an RSPCA inspector?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Well, you know, I get people telling me their dogs are Labradoodles...
course they are, love. That`s why they look like hairy greyhounds.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >