Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 07:07 PM

Laptops

Just how easy are they to use ???

I would like to know how I can move from room to room with no wires and no other PC for a router.

Any help pleeeeeeease ?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I work from a laptop Saz and prefer them to desktops cause they take up very little space.I also prefer the shallow keys-desktops keyboards now feel big and clunky!

Laptops have a mouse pad which is a black panel about 2" x 3" and you just lightly rub it with your fingertop to move your cursor with 2 buttons underneath for clicking.You can if you want plug in a conventional wired mouse cause i know some people hate trying to use it.

Mine isnt wireless cause its in my lounge next to armchair so i dont (as yet) need to move around with it cause im comfy already.Perhaps someone else can help you on that!
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Hiya Steve

Thanks for that, can I still do everything like my downloads and so on ? As long as im not limited with it i'll be happy lol
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I download music,tv episodes,browse the net,email,upload pictures from camera,etc etc Saz-everything you do with a desktop can be done with a laptop!
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Thats good then, I hate my desktop, it has been in every room of the house so far, no more room for it now!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Saz View Post
Just how easy are they to use ???
Very easy Steve has told you about that

Originally Posted by Saz View Post
I would like to know how I can move from room to room with no wires and no other PC for a router.
What you'll need for that is a wireless modem/ router so that stays in one place while you can carry your Laptop to where ever you want as long as youur in signal range of the router you can go where you want top up your tan outside in the summer while surfing.

If you get an exturnal harddrive that just pugs into your USB port then you can have as much storage space as you need.

If you go wireless i can not stress this enough please please encrypt your signal from your router i can choose out of the four signals i receive 2 of them are not protected either by encryption or MAC address filtering so if you go down this wireless rote do encrypt.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks Leo, I'm not sure what or how to encrypt big words. What would be the best router I can get at the cheapest rate ?

This laptop I am getting is a Hi-Grade W5600-1600a Widescreen Laptop with remore control and 100GB hard drive and built-in wireless networking, what does the built-in wireless thing mean please ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I can't cope with my husbands laptop, for one thing I can't cope without a mouse, and I get all confused and take ages to do anything on it! Apart from that, I really don't like the keyboard, it's just not the same as my desktop keyboard, much smaller (and I'm a touch typist!!). I strongly suggest you try one out before going for it, you might be like me!
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Morning Helena, Thank you for your advice. I really have no choice but to get used to it. I can imagine it will be hard at first but I'm pretty quick at picking up things. My Desktop is just too bulky and in the way, it has been in every room of the house so far Plus I can take it to bed, and get cosy in the winter months
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Same here, I wish I could get rid of all this pc stuff in the corner of the lounge. Maybe I should try and get used to Dave's laptop I suppose, and like you say, it'd be nice to take it to bed with me so he doesn't moan at me in he evenings for clacking away on here!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >