Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Immunotherapy???

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has done the immunotherapy for their dogs, especially for house dust mites but just interested in general really and if it worked?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi Sara Sorry can't help
How is Demi? haven't heard for you in a while
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi Eileen

She`s ok (kind of lol) thanks for asking

The dust mite allergy is driving me crazy, im hoovering everyday, washing beds etc every wednesday, and bathing demi every sunday. My house has never been so clean lol

I did crack and agree to put her on a course of steroids that i stopped because they didnt seem to be doing any good and she seemed to lose all control of her bladder and just wanted to sleep.

I then tried Atopica but she was being sick every time she ate so a week later i stopped those. And then i read into them online and read about side effects that turned my stomach, im so angry right now at my vet for not warning me of these before prescribing them for her!

Now I`m in two minds, immunotherapy or completely redecorate my house and try and rid as much of the soft furnishings as possible.

Now im wondering as well if she is reacting to her food as well. I know she has food allergies but im not entirely sure to what, all i know for certain is chicken. Her food she is having is Eukanuba Derm FP the ingredients are supposed to be broken down so small that she cant react to the ingredients but im seriously starting to doubt thats true.

But apart from a sore ear and some redness between her toes shes fine at the minute, i just hate seeing her uncomfortable
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Aww bless her and youHopefully someone will come along soon with experience and it'll help I know you've been trying everything you can to keep her well,you both deserve for it to be sorted...(( hugs))
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi. Tonks is allergic to dust mites, storage mites, chicken and cheese... That we know of. We tried imunoptherapy for a while but to no avail, however we didn't know she was allergic to chicken at the time.

She was on Atopica and, like you, I wasn't aware of some of the side effects when she was put on them. She's just come off them as she had some lumps removed and it turned out to be three different types of cancer.

We've now changed her to salmon nature diet, changed her bed to a faux leather bed, bought a new carpet, am looking to get leather sofas and am getting a stream
Cleaner. She's also on a lowish dose of steroids every other day. I'd rather she wasn' them but want her to be as itch free as long as she has left. She's also on antihistamines and has a special shampoo that I'm supposed to bath he with twice a week and leave the shampoo on for twenty minutes, we don't manage the bathing.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 01:31 AM
I have no experience with immunotherapy but just wanted to say I hope someone with experience comes along. What is immunotherapy?
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi Sarah,

My girl is allergic to House, Copra and Hay Mites.

We used immunotherapy for around a year, unfortunately it didn't work with Ima, but that isn't to say it won't work on yours, it might work like a charm....

Has your vet prescribed any of the topical treatments at all? If not they might help if she isn't reacting too badly at the moment.

Also there is a new drug in the pipeline (don't know the name of it) that has shown to have excellent results with non of the side effects of steroids or Atopica, we will be going on to that when it comes out if I find out the name I will let you know

If you do use steroids then Viacutin (mixture of fish and veg oil you can get from vet or online, it's non prescription) will support her system.

Good luck
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I have no experience with immunotherapy but just wanted to say I hope someone with experience comes along. What is immunotherapy?
It's where they inject them with a minute amount of the allergen to help the immune system cope, has a about a 30% success rate I think
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 12:47 PM
We tried it with Duncan didn't work so he had to go onto steroids. Horrible when you just cannot stop them itching isn't it. What we did find worked when we had to go out (his was grass mainly) was putting a t shirt on him. I am wondering if that may be a help to keep dust mites at bay ?
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
It's where they inject them with a minute amount of the allergen to help the immune system cope, has a about a 30% success rate I think
Like an allergy shot then. I hope you can find a solution soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >